Anyone use artifical light to increase production?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TammyTX, Aug 31, 2009.

1. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    With the days growing shorter my birds are really slowing down on egg production.

One week I was getting 24-29 a day and then it suddenly slowed down to 14-16 per day right when business was picking up...

I don't want to do a 24 hour light, but I thought if I kept the coop light on until about 9:30p (summertime sunset) that would boost production again without draining the girls.

What do y'all think?

PS: I've already tried the, "Sounds like I need more chickens..." it didn't work. [​IMG]

2. kwynn's birds Alaska

kwynn's birds Alaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    In Alaska, one almost has to use light. In the dead of winter, it gets dark just after 4, and it will be close to 10 am when it gets light. I use a timer set for 6am, and goes off at 10. It's getting darker earlier and I noticed feathers all over the pen, so it's time to set it up now. It's just a 60 watt bulb. I had an energy saver bulb in there, but the 60 watt puts off heat too, which is needed here. It worked great except when it got super cold. Then the girls would take a break.
    [​IMG]

3. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks!

I was a little worried about over working them.

4. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    It does stress them a little bit to not have a whole winter break, but it really doesn't hurt them. I put a light on mine at the very deepest darkest part of winter. Do not do a 24 hour light. And another thing- You should turn the light on in the morning, or get a light that fades out in the evening. If it's light, then suddenly dark, they can't figure out how to get onto the roost.

Plus, it's getting to be molting time, so they should slow down while they molt. OH no, wait, yours are too young for molting. It's just the daylight then.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by