Anyone use fermented feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FrankHomestead, Mar 30, 2017.

1. FrankHomestead

FrankHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2017
    Michigan
    I've been scouring the web for info about fermenting my chicks feed. Seems to be worth giving it a go. Anyone do this? How and what do you use?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. FrankHomestead

Mar 27, 2017
    Michigan
  4. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Here's the definitive thread on fermenting feed. This is where I first learned to do it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645057/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them

Fermenting chick starter is as simple as putting a couple hand fulls of crumbles into a juice pitcher and adding water to make it the consistency you desire. A quick squirt of ACV will kick start it.

I recommend having your FF for chicks the consistency of biscuit dough. That way they aren't going to be plowing through it like quick sand. I also like to use very small feeding containers, just a couple inches in diameter so the chicks don't find it easy to walk around in their food.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Also a FAQ re: FF at the bottom of my signature. The author has pulled together lots of supportive information.

6. happymanny

happymanny Just Hatched

Mar 22, 2017
    I tried giving fermented feed alongside regular crumble starter, and my chicks were totally not interested in the stuff. Should I have pulled the regular crumble until they decided to give the FF a try?

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I give them crumble for the first day or two, then put the FF on the floor of brooder on a piece of cardboard, perhaps sprinkling a bit of crumble over it, then, simply remove the crumble. Keep the FF on the dry side, and be sure it's not served up in such a way they can do a face plant in it.

8. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I also do what LG has mentioned - sprinkling the dry crumbles over the ground for the first couple days. Baby chicks have an instinct to look for their food on the ground and to scratch around for it. They learn what food is so much quicker that way, sort of like giving human infants finger food before you expect them to eat from a bowl.

They discover the FF soon enough, then they seem to prefer it. Also, sprinkling the dry crumbles over the ground helps a broody hen teach her chicks how to eat. That's step one. Graduating to FF out of a dish is step two, and before they're a week old they will be eating the FF.

9. FrankHomestead

Mar 27, 2017
    Michigan
    Thanks everyone! I did ferment the chick starter feed for about a day and a half in just water. I noticed the bubbles at the top so figured it was ready! I gave them some in small cup and they went nuts over it!! Yayyy!

10. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by