Anyone use heat emitter bulb?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tankernav1, Feb 21, 2009.

1. tankernav1

tankernav1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    I just read that a heat emitter bulb would be better to use than a regular infrared bulb in heating my chicks. We are planning to keep them in one of our bathtub's while they are inside but I'm worried about keeping a light plugged in because of a fire hazard. Does anyone have any experience with these? Can I screw it into the same base I was going to use the other bulb in?

2. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Those are the ones I call "lizard lights" because they are made to keep reptiles warm, they emit either 50 or 10 watts of heat and I have used them for two years through the winters in my roost area where the chickens are closed in at night, soft red glow and heat, mine are quite snug at night....I will continue to use mine.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I have a 250W heat emitter bulb that I use. Just as you would with anything that produces heat safety precautions must be adhered to. They do screw into a regular socket, however just as with heat lamp bulbs it needs to be a ceramic socket.

4. tankernav1

tankernav1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    I didn't want to spend too much money getting started so what is the lowest wattage you think I could buy? We will have 5 chicks. Can I get by with 100 watts? Thanks!!

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I can only tell you what I have and it is not enough. I bought the 100 watt emitter and It does not produce the same heat as the 100 watt light bulb for 30 times the cost.

I have always used 100 watt full spectrum bulbs. It gives light 24/7 which I have never had any problems with. MY chicks do not pick each other and seem to thrive eating all day and night. I raise and lower to get the desired temperature. After 3 weeks I use a 75 watt bulb and after 5 weeks I use 60. I allow lots of room in the brooder a nd graduate the size as they grow.

This method has worked perfectly for me for over 5 years. I raised chickens 25 years ago before internet and that is the way I learned to do it from old timers and it has worked well. There are certainly other ways to brood chicks but if money is a problem, 100 watt regular light bulbs work fine.

6. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

The heat emitter would work but you would still want a light in there so they can feed 24-7, i have 250 and 150 watt ones..But they are not used for our chicks, we use the 250 watt red heat brooder lamps for them in the un heated basment..up stairs in the spare bedroom, we use 100 watt red spot lamps..these methods Been working for us for some time now..

Charlie

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by