anyone use oxine ah?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lotsofloveforchickens, Nov 15, 2019.

1. lotsofloveforchickens

lotsofloveforchickens Chirping

Mar 17, 2018
    my hen has wet fowl pox and I want to know if spraying oxine ah around in my pen and yard if it would kill the virus on the feathers and dander laying around the pen and yard to prevent others from catching fowl pox. please help!!!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Spraying the soil with Oxine is ineffective. For wet pox, you're going to have to use tweezers to remove all lesions in the mouth. Then swab the mouth with iodine.
    If there's lesions in the esophagus or trachea, cull the bird. If you dont, it will starve to death or suffocate. You should be able to see lesions that far back in the mouth.
    Fowl pox is spread by infectious lesions that are picked up by other birds, also via the bloodstream through a scrape or cut in the skin.
    https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/fowlpox/fowlpox-in-chickens-and-turkeys

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  3. lotsofloveforchickens

Mar 17, 2018
    I have already removed all lesions in her mouth and they have stopped growing back so I think she is slowly starting to get better but she is molting right now and feathers and dander is everywhere and the virus stays active on them so I need to know if spraying them with oxine or bleach would kill the virus. every time I get the feathers up there back again like snow.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Could you please post a couple of pics, it doesnt sound like fowl pox. If you're describing it like "snow," Fowl pox doesnt appear like that. Favus perhaps, which requires an entirely different treatment. Pics would really help.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  5. lotsofloveforchickens

Mar 17, 2018
    she has wet pox and is starting to get better now. she is losing all of her feathers because she is molting and her feathers are falling off of her and there is feather dander everywhere like snow falling. this is not a symptom of wet pox. my question was that I hear that the virus remains active in her feathers even after they fall off of her. since its hard to keep all of her feathers contained I wanted to know if spraying the yard with oxaine would kill the virus on the feathers that's on the ground?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: