Anyone Use Oxine?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I was reading up on the internet about coop disinfectants and found an article about Oxine. It's kind of spendy but most reviews I found were all positive...apparently, its a cleaner/anti-fungal medication? I don't have an issue with anything in particular, but I thought about getting some to do some spot-cleaning with, since my flock is currently confined to the coop...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Do you mean Oxine? It's a fantastic product, I hear, much better than bleach. Amazon.com has a good price on it.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:yes, thanks! I fixed it. [​IMG] But you've not ever used it? I even saw that some guy puts it in a humidifer & "bombs" his coop with it!

4. ChickLuver

ChickLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    I have used Oxine and it's wonderful stuff. My guys were suffering from CRD. I nebulized them and the coop. Everyone is GREAT now. You can put it in the water to keep waters clean and alage free. Plus it makes it taste better. It's just and all around AMAZING product. It is a little pricey but it goes a LOOOONG way! You dilute 6.5 ounces to a gallon. I got mine on amazon. And you don't need the activator. JUST the oxine it self! I HIGHLY recommend the product! I was at my last resort when I bought it. If it didn't work I though I was going to have to cull the whole flock. Baytril was also something I looked into. But since its not good for humans....my flock would have gotten better but the eggs wouldn't be safe anymore. And that would Stink to throw away eggs everyday!! There is no withdrawl time either. IT'S JUST A GREAT PRODUCT!!!!! Good Luck [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  5. Rare Feathers Farm

How did you nebulize the coop? With a humidifer? Is it just for dieases or could I use to prevent stuff? The more books I read, the more paranoid I'm becoming, LOL

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, I haven't used it, sorry. It's many times more potent than bleach, but you can actually put it in waterers. If you have a fogger, you fog the coop and birds with the vapor.

7. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    I haven't used it myself, but have heard nothing but good reviews. I would get and use it if I had an infectious problem that needed a good disinfectant beyond plain ol bleach.

8. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    I have used the Oxine AH and it is awesome! I found it for about 25.00 per gallon. You can mix it with water in a sprayer and spray down your coops, run, and birds and it won't hurt them. It is better than bleach, and because it kills every organism it has been tested against, the only thing is it has to actually touch the organism. I had a whole flock with Infectious Coryza and used it in my childs nebulizer (I couldn't afford 300.00 for a fogger) and dosed my birds and didn't lose any of them. I also use it in my waterers to help with water taste and algae. It is kinda expensive, but I bought a gallon over the summer and still have about 1/4th of it. It cuts down on chicken odors in the coop from poo and it helps with flies during summer months. Here is a link that will tell you a lot about it. But Beware.... DO NOT USE THE ACTIVATION CRYSTALS! You will kill yourself and your birds. [​IMG]

www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm

9. ChickLuver

ChickLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    You can definetly use it as a preventitive. You can use a humidifier to do it. I actually had an old nebulizer machine I use.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  10. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I used this a couple weeks ago (plan to spray the coop again, in a week or so) and I used a gallon "weed sprayer" to mix it and apply.

I've had some funk going on with the chickens, and the day after I used it on the coop and the chickens, they perked up so much it was amazing. They even all began laying eggs again (the chickens in that coop hadn't laid in a couple of months).

This is the cheapest place I've found it so far, and you can get just a quart through them, to try it before buying a whole gallon.

http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/index.php?cPath=53&osCsid=8c8387df867cd82c9ad83c3dcc6a20d0

It is pricey, but worth the money.

eta - the gallon sprayer cost about 13 bucks at Lowes, and you can get a room humidifier at walmart that would work to fume the coop for about 15 bucks, too.

meri

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by