Anyone use Pyrethrin?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bakerjw, Jul 18, 2011.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I have some Mexican Bean Beetles ravaging the beans in my garden and have been looking at options to combat them. There are too many to squash one at a time so I've looked into using some pesticides. Sevin and Malathion seem to be the 2 big ones but then I found Pyrethrin which is occurs naturally. Anyone have any luck with it?

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would give it a try.One year I even sprayed the japanese beetles with watered down dog flea/tick shampoo! Try some oil/dish soap in water to see if that works,and then try the pesticides.Some like neem,but I read it stinks.

3. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Pyrethrin may work, but there are safer things used for food. Remember, naturally derived doesn't mean safe. I would consider an agricultural oil or paraffin. This will smother the beetles. It may be too late to do anything about them; it depends on where they are in their life cycle. Ideally, using a crop oil with a spreader-sticker (to adhere the pesticide against rain) BEFORE the eggs are laid is best. Then when they emerge, they are killed. If the beetles are already inside your beans it's mostly likely too late. All of the products you mentioned will kill them, but you should do a search and find out the life cycle of this beetle and apply accordingly before the next hatch.

If this is an ongoing problem, or if you expect it to be, the very best thing you can do next year is to fumigate the garden soil. This is done by covering the treated area with poly to essentially fumigate before even planting. However, if the beetles are in nearby ground, they can still of course travel onto the plants.

Hope this was of some help.

PS: Edited to add: I personally would use one of the other two you mentioned over Pyrethrin for food. While Pyrethrin does have a lower toxicity level, it is also a known carcinogen.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  4. TouchO'Lass

TouchO'Lass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    PyrethrUM is a naturally occuring pesticide derived from crysanthemums. PyrethrIM is the synthetic / man-made version. Generally, both are less toxic than malathion. Sevin and Neem are also both labeled for JBs.

Next year, you might be able to dissuade them a little by planting 'Mums along with your beans. And this fall you'll want to treat any grass or lawn around your garden because the beetle larva lives and feeds in turf in the winter, just waiting for your juicy beans to come back next year. Something like spectracide soil and turf insect killer should do the trick.

If you're very patient and trying to stay organic, go out in the early morning and jiggle them off the plants into a cup of soapy water. They're normally around for little more than a month, but they can sure wipe out a crop in that time!

Good Luck!!

5. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    TouchO'Lass :

PyrethrUM is a naturally occuring pesticide derived from crysanthemums. PyrethrIM is the synthetic / man-made version. Generally, both are less toxic than malathion. Sevin and Neem are also both labeled for JBs.

Next year, you might be able to dissuade them a little by planting 'Mums along with your beans. And this fall you'll want to treat any grass or lawn around your garden because the beetle larva lives and feeds in turf in the winter, just waiting for your juicy beans to come back next year. Something like spectracide soil and turf insect killer should do the trick.

If you're very patient and trying to stay organic, go out in the early morning and jiggle them off the plants into a cup of soapy water. They're normally around for little more than a month, but they can sure wipe out a crop in that time!

Good Luck!!

There is no "pyrethrIM". Permethrin, is the synthetic version that you are referring to.​

6. TouchO'Lass

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    Quote:You are absolutely correct! My fingers got typing faster than my brain housing group was operating... [​IMG] Haven't had enough coffee yet. [​IMG] Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  7. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    TouchO'Lass :

Quote:You are absolutely correct! My fingers got typing faster than my brain housing group was operating... [​IMG] Haven't had enough coffee yet. [​IMG] Thanks!

No problem. I think it's kind of funny that I manage a Pest Control company, sneak onto BYC for breaks and what do I do? Answer questions about insecticides. Talk about lame! [​IMG]

8. TouchO'Lass

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    Quote:Yep. I used to work pest control in the Navy. I think I breathed in too much malathion driving the mosquito truck in Cuba!!
    Got some brain cells in the permanent dying cockroach position... [​IMG]

9. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    TouchO'Lass :

Quote:Yep. I used to work pest control in the Navy. I think I breathed in too much malathion driving the mosquito truck in Cuba!!
    Got some brain cells in the permanent dying cockroach position... http://www.pic4ever.com/images/4chsmu1.gif

[​IMG]

10. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    TouchO'Lass :

Got some brain cells in the permanent dying cockroach position... http://www.pic4ever.com/images/4chsmu1.gif

Your not far from me....and [​IMG].

I love the Permethrin. It is pretty wicked stuff and works for everything. It is concentrated and lasts forever cause you don't really need that much.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by