Anyone use Sevin dust\sand mixture in bowl for mites

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by swheat, Jul 1, 2011.

1. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I want to mix Sevin with sand and place in large container for chicken to do their sand baths in..I was wonder how much Sevin should be mixed with sand. Do you think this will work or should I just dust every bird ?

2. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I have had an experience w/ lice (so many that it was killing some chicks that got them from the mama), and the best thing I've found is to use a drop of neem oil under the tail near the vent, and also one drop under each wing, and one drop behind the neck. The bugs are totally gone in 3 days. I used it on the chicks too, and the bugs haven't come back. I think there are also neem oil shampoos (for people to use when they get lice), but I like the concentrated stuff since it lasts forever and I don't like to bother with giving so many birds a bath.

ETA: I don't know how to tell between lice and mites, but assume it would work for both. It is awesome stuff and has been used for thousands of years. It is $4.50 for 4 ounces and I got it on this site: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkoil/m-r.php#ho_ne (3rd item down) and more info about neem oil is here: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/oilprofile/neem_oil.php

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I would just dust every bird. You won't be able to control how much sevin each bird gets and there is a chance they could accidently ingest/breathe too much in.

As for the neem oil, I can see how that might work but a word to the wise about tea tree oil if one thinks of using that for something: it is poisonous to birds.

4. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    Neem is also used for coccidiosis in chickens (see study before for dosing instructions). I would advise if giving it orally though to be absolutely sure of the proper dosing. Even natural remedies can be fatal if overdosed.
    http://www.klobex.org/journals/afs/afs7/afs730806021.pdf

5. I'm1chickencuddler

I'm1chickencuddler Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    I have been using the food grade DE now for about 2 weeks and it seems to be working for the majority of my girls. I have 2 hens that are still completely infested with mites. I am dusting them every day and nothing seems to be working. I went and purchased chicken dust, which is a permethrin insecticide. The mites immediately left the birds but did not appear to die or be phased other than they left the birds. I put huge piles of the DE out for them to do their dust baths themselves everyday.(They are so funny to watch). Any other advice as to what else I can do to get rid of the mites? I have treated my coop and their yard. Everything is blanketed in DE and Chicken dust. HELP please!!!! I will order this neem oil.

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    If you keep waiting for the DE to kill the mites...your chickens could die first. It seems to be better as a deterrent than a treatment method. I sprinkle mine with seven....and watch the mites die and fall off. Instant relief for the birds and satisfaction for me! Retreat in 10 days and treat the area as well
    sharon

7. I'm1chickencuddler

May 31, 2011
    Thank you for the seven advice. I am using the DE along with a permethrin chicken dust that is supposed to kill the mites. It just doesn't seem to be killing them. Both feed stores in my area say to use the chicken dust, not the seven because it could cause them respiratory distress and be toxic to them. Even on the package it says not to have the chickens breathe the dust. How the H3ll are you supposed to keep the bird from breathing what you just put all over their bodies? I don't want to cause them further distress by making it difficult and possibly toxic for them to breathe. Any experience you can share on that will be appreciated as my girls are doing good but I want ALL the mites GONE not just reduced. Thank you again.

8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I like using the seven dust but I have also used Ivomec pour on. When you use seven the bugs drop off dead. I tried using the pillowcase method but I wound up dusting myself as much. Some use a shaker...like you put parmesean cheese in and dusting with that. Just catch them at night and dust carefully trying not to make too much a cloud. Hold them down low to the ground also. Then do it again in 10 days.
    sharon

9. the209jungalist

the209jungalist Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Stockton
    I have never heard of the Neem before but it may be the easiest for me as far as treating the yard. My problem is I have stray chickens that think i'm their mommy too, so they are always in my yard and hanging out with my flock.

10. I'm1chickencuddler

May 31, 2011
    Seven it is....We catch them one by one as we let them out of the coop in the morning. We open the door, snatch a girl, close the door, dust her, NEXT....That way we don't miss anybody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by