Anyone use SMZ (Sodium Sulfamethazine)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flowerchild59, Sep 18, 2011.

1. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I may have to use something asap as I have a pullet with a crusty eye but no other symptoms but I am hearing what I think are abnormal semi-coughing noises coming from the flock. I don't see any runny noses or the such, but I think some of them are "dirty" looking, sort of greasy around their face and toward their backs and tails but it just rained here and I may be imagining things, but my gut tells me to treat them all. I used wazine last week and will use valbazen this week in case it it gape worm or something like that, then the crusty eye occured and I want to treat the whole flock to be sure. Anyone have any experience with SMZ vs tylan?
    The hens eye was cleansed with saline and antibiotic ointment placed. I did not detect an odor. No nasal discharge. And I thought her comb and wattles were ok.
    I put out emycin (or tetracycline) I cant' remember which it is in their water for now (it is yellow in color) until I can get appropriate treatment. It is what I had on hand.
    Any other suggestions?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Anybody????????
    Hoping someone chimes in before I destroy the whole flock.

3. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    The only experience I have with SMZ is with my horses. If sulfa drugs are recommended, it would fit the bill. Unfortunately, I wouldn't have a clue as to dosing for chickens or if it is even indicated for use in chickens. If you haven't already, you could google the name and poultry dosing (sulfa... Poultry dosing) and see what you come up with. I hope someone with more knowledge about it will post for you this morning. Good luck with it and keep your chin up, you're doing all you can to help them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by