Anyone Use Tea Tree Oil...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ElioraImmanuel, May 25, 2010.

1. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    in the coop? It's fab for bugs, parasites etc. I use a mix of dish soap, TTO, another essential oil (sweet orange, grapefruit, lavendar etc), a bit of borax (fab for mold, fungus etc) and hot water when I clean my house. It's easy, inexpensive and leaves everything disenfected and smelling great. So, today I cleaned the gross chick house I'm borrowing. It was given to a friend and they dropped it at my house....free delivery.[​IMG]

The coop was so nasty I couldn't stand 5 feet from it. So, I took the hoe and scraped it out, used a grout brush and a broom. Then a mild bleach solution to wash followed by a TTO/Grapefruit wash. The coop actually smells Good! My 13 y/o DD said she couldn't believe she could see the floor and that it didn't stink...a high compliment.[​IMG]

2. Dorte

Dorte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    What dilution do you use for the tea tree oil? It is a great anti fungal too.

I thought the chickens would take care of the bugs...

3. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    Thanks so much for this idea. I didn't want to use chemicals in the coop. I'm trying to have a green houshold and would like to keep the chicks and thier eggs organic so this is just great.[​IMG]

4. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Quote:Please share your TTO recipe. [​IMG]

5. BoerneChickens

BoerneChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I would also like to get the proportions for the mix so I can give it a try!

I have been using fly predators and DE around the coop yard and it seems to have cut down on the flies quite a bit, but would like to be able to ue the mix you describe to scrub down roosts and the floor if the house.

6. Glamorgan

Glamorgan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    Earth
    I use tea tree oil lotion on my bantam sumatra legs because she has some minor leg problems. I heard a lot of sumatras have different minor foot and legs problems. The tea tree oil lotion is also the best and fastest way to get rid of leg mites pronto![​IMG]

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

It's great for toe nail fungus!

8. downstownlady

downstownlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Conroe, TX
    Fabulous Idea!!! Thank You!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by