1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone use truck bed caps for coops? Show me pics please!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MoonAngel12, Jul 14, 2011.

1. MoonAngel12

MoonAngel12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Central NC
    I got a coop book from the library and it showed one that used a truck bed cap for a coop area. We have one for sale right down the road for $30 so I thought about trying it. We just built a hoop house that I need to finish, but it would be a lost easier to make a separate coop area with the truck cap and leave the hoop house for their run area (I am wanting both to be portable). Anyone else have one? Can you post pics for me so I can get some ideas?

Thanks!

2. NewChcikenmommy!

NewChcikenmommy! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
  3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
  4. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    We currently have a truck cap serving as the cover to our hay for our cows. Within the next few days, it will be coming off and will be relocated to our new chicken run. Not to be used as a coop, but just as some cover, shade, etc in the run. It's a little "redneck", but whatever! I am one! [​IMG] I am thinking that if you are creative and handy, you may be able to make a nice coop out of some pallets for the back and sides and use the cap for the top. The cap would be easy enough to take off so that you could move the coop around your yard. I think it would be a great purchase. Let us know what you come up with!

5. MoonAngel12

MoonAngel12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Anything redneck would fit right in with our general surroundings [​IMG]. I had actually just thought about the pallets and wondered how they would work... DH could easily get some from work in different sizes. I'll have to go by this afternoon when DD gets up from her nap and see if the cap is still available and if so what the dimensions are. It had been marked down from $35 so I am guessing it should still be there - it's not like there's a shortage around here! We started noticing them all over people's backyards (not actually on trucks or anything [​IMG]).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by