Anyone used the "Clubhouse" or "Foursquare" Coops?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rubyred, Oct 30, 2010.

1. rubyred

rubyred Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Hi all,

I've just adopted 2 bantams and am scrambling to figure out housing for them (I will likely adopt 2 more in the future). Materials are super expensive here (suburban north Jersey) and building a decent coop/run is likely to run close to $400. I see a couple of coops on mypetchicken in that price range and wonder whether anyone has used them or knows whether they are of decent quality? If so, I would appreciate any feedback. I'm not sure I'll have time to construct one as quickly as I need it so a commercial option seems attractive.

Here is the most expensive of the lot: http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/chickens/The-Clubhouse-Coop-with-Run-3-4-chickens-p839.aspx

Thanks
    in advance for any advice or words of wisdom!

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

oooooo nooooo.

Those thing tend to rot quicker than your chickens grow.

Check craigslist for cheap and free lumber even someone to build you one for a lot cheaper and better than this. Try Freecycle as well. Some of us use plastic kids playhouses that we have gotten free or for a few bucks much under the cost of what is here.

3. rubyred

Oct 30, 2010
    Thanks so much! That was exactly what I feared and really good to get confirmation.

I love all of the pix posted by those of you who have converted doghouses and playhouses. I think I may be able to do that as a workable short term solution (just my luck that they've announced first frost for tonight--ack).

Cheers!

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I don't know about that exact manufacturer, but those types of coops usually need to be resealed or painted, to protect the wood. Whatever the manufacturers use on most of them usually doesn't hold up to the weather. Some of them also come with hardware that raccoons can open, although I couldn't quite tell by the pictures, how that one is.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:2 X

I would pass on this one and build one yourself or prefab.

6. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    I bought a doghouse at Lowes for my 4. U can buy a shed at Sears or Lowes and have it delivered free with a free floor for $300. Don't forget MPC chges for delivery. Although their products are high quality they make up for it in delivery fees. When I started out they chged me more than the cost of feed for one bag of feed. U can always use the doghouse later for a brooder or timeout for rooster or a hospital coop. See my BYC page for how to & price list.

7. rubyred

Oct 30, 2010
    Thanks so much to all! All this advice has been tremendously appreciated!

8. suzanne bauer

suzanne bauer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2014
    Hey! I was just wondering how things turned out and what you did to make a fast cheap coop? I did get the clubhouse coop from mpc and when constructed I was surprised at how small it is! And it does not seem strong too me! Not worth what I paid....Now I have 6 chicks and need a coop soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by