Anyone used this thermostat?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Guy.laister, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Guy.laister

Guy.laister New Egg

Nov 21, 2010
    Hi,

Just a quick question really, has anyone usedthis thermostat before ?

Its just i need something cheap as its just a hooby, and i bought one of those DIY velleman thermostats which somehow i managed to Blow up twice!

Thanks

Guy

2. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    no, but I really like it, maybe I'll get one of these, I'm working on building a hatcher now so I don't have to drown the eggs that are setting while ones that are ready hatch out.

Let me know if you get it and how it works.

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    So would this one be alright inside an incubator? I know it's for an aquarium but just like to know what I could do with it. I like it so far!

4. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    it says it can be used for an incubator and the technical specs seem to allow for a 99.5 +-~1.8 degrees so it may not be quite sensitive enough, but then again, it might do the trick just nicely.

5. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    Let us know if it works! Looks like an awesome idea.

Guy.laister :

Hi,

Just a quick question really, has anyone usedthis thermostat before ?

Its just i need something cheap as its just a hooby, and i bought one of those DIY velleman thermostats which somehow i managed to Blow up twice!

Thanks

Guy​

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Looks good to me.

7. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I like it for 17 dollars!

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I'm going to subscribe to the thread so if anyone does use this I can't wait to hear about it.

I'm thinking of building a cabinet incubator just to hatch out a ton of quail.

If this works, do you think it would work with something with maybe 5 shelves?

9. Guy.laister

Guy.laister New Egg

Nov 21, 2010
    I bought it yesterday, and will post pics and everything when it comes, and let you know how good (or not!) it really is. It looks fantastic though!

Will let you know in about 6-12 working days!! Not bad from Hong Kong to UK

10. Guy.laister

Guy.laister New Egg

Nov 21, 2010
    Do not buy this thermostat. I connected it up, because my old one was warn out, and was ok for about a day. After that it showed err on the screen, and the temperature just went up, and up, and up and up without me knowing. I had 9 Rhea eggs in that the time, and they were just the hatch in a few days time. I managed to save one rhea but the rest were cooked. To show how hot it was, the chicken eggs that i put in there were hard boiled. The insides of my incubator is pretty much knackered.

Ihave reset it, and all is working how it should, but it just cant keep it at a steady temperature. It sometimes keeps it at steady 37.4 - 37.5 which isnt bad, but at times it will get to over 40 degrees!!! Adjusting the temperature sometimes makes no difference, and will still manage to let the temperature get to 40+ even when it is set at 34. One other thing is it will forget things.

On the plus side it has a clear LED screen showing the incorrect temperature by about 4 degrees (checked with 3 rather expensive thermometers)

Stay well away from it. I have just lost all those baby rhea, and only have the one surviving.

Guy

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by