Anyone using 1/4", 23 gauge hardware cloth

madicakes

Songster
6 Years
Mar 6, 2014
South-Central Pennsylvania
I went with the 23 gauge 1/4 inch hardware cloth for my coop and run. I am now wondering if I am going to have problems with it being too thin to keep out predators (probably mostly raccoons, opossum, skunks). Does anyone else use this successfully? I hate to spend the money on the thicker hardware cloth, since I can't send this roll back as I've already used it on the windows in the coop, but I also don't want my chickens eaten up. At night they will be locked in their coop, but during the day will be in the run, which will be covered on all sides and the top with the 1/4" cloth, with a 2 foot apron/skirt on the ground around the entire coop and run.

We are new to chickens, but I my husband went with the 1/4" 19 gauge hardware cloth because it needs to be strong enough to withstand predators.

Thanks! I'm new to chickens as well, but I LOVE them! I am using the 23 gauge, but I might have enough left to go around the bottom portion of the run a second time. That should offer a little bit more protection than just one layer.....hopefully.

As you are asking opinions, 1/2 inch hardware cloth seems to be the preferred choice for your predator control (raccoons, opossum, skunks), due to the strength of the wire.
My 14' x 14' run is completely enclosed with 2"x3" fencing, including a 2' apron, and roof. The bottom 2', I wrapped with the 1/2 hardware cloth, keeps all hands out.

I sleep with both eyes closed
roll.png

As you are asking opinions, 1/2 inch hardware cloth seems to be the preferred choice for your predator control (raccoons, opossum, skunks), due to the strength of the wire.
My 14' x 14' run is completely enclosed with 2"x3" fencing, including a 2' apron, and roof. The bottom 2', I wrapped with the 1/2 hardware cloth, keeps all hands out.

I sleep with both eyes closed
roll.png
I used the half inch hardware cloth on my tractor. only way anything is getting into my girls is if they dig in under the tractor, and that would be pretty tough for them to do without the dogs raising hell with them there.

Back
Top Bottom