Anyone vaccinate their OWN hatched chicks?

CritterFarmer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Ontario
While watching the Dirty Jobs episode on sexing chicks they showed the day-olds getting the needle for Mereks disease and it made me wonder....

For those who incubate and hatch their own chicks do you (or can you??) vacinate the chicks for Mereks???

I'm not looking for debates on if you should or not.... rather I'm just curious if there is a method available for the backyard breeder to vaccinate day-olds?

There was a big thread on this recently.

Try the search button in the blue banner at the top. Search for vaccinating chicks or I think the thread was "Reasons why you do or do not vaccinate".
Something like that.
Lots of info. in that thread.

There is--you can purchase the vaccine. It's relatively easy to give if you're used to giving injections and have someone who is good at restraint. It MUST be given the first day and once it's mixed up, you have to use it within 1-4 hours (depends on maker etc).

The vaccine comes in 1000 dose vials. there are various posts about breaking up the cake to use later etc. I'm not going to comment on that.

Alright.... well I'm just sort of curious if it is a "common practice" thing or if people just let their home-hatched day-olds fend for themselves, especially if they have plans to raise and sell the birds later or something.

Back
Top Bottom