Anyone wanna advise

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dogger, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Dogger

Dogger New Egg

May 7, 2014

2. NSawyer

NSawyer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    Chicagoland
    It seems like she's having trouble breathing through her nose. Is it clogged with mucus or runny? If so, I would bring her in to the bathroom and try to steam her nose clear. She may have a respiratory infection, which can be dealt with in a variety of ways depending on your preference.

3. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I think so too. VetRx from Tractor Supply or your local feed store, worked wonders for one of my rooster's. I put a small amount on his beak and the mucus immediately started to loosen up. I could actually hear his breathing go from clogged to very clear. It is some amazing stuff and it's all natural.

4. Dogger

Dogger New Egg

May 7, 2014
    Thank you, I'll try the bathroom steam as well as vetRx, she is not eating and also dehydrated so I'm trying to help her come around. I'm new at this, read a ton, but still have lots to learn.

5. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Welcome to BYC by the way! Try to get some vitamins and electrolytes in her as well. It comes in a powder form at Tractor Supply also. Until you can get to the store, you could give her some gatorade mixed with water 50/50. Try getting her to eat some scrambled egg. Please keep us updated.

6. NSawyer

NSawyer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    Chicagoland
    How is your hen now? I know it's a bit late, but I've found that with sick hens they often don't want to drink. You have to dip their head down to the water with your hand. Often after that forced drink they decide they do feel like drinking after all, or if not you can at least force a few drinks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by