Anyone wanna loan me $500?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by havi, Aug 14, 2008.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I saw this posting on craigslist today. http://killeen.craigslist.org/grd/795832799.html I would LOVE to have this!!! [​IMG] I wish I could come up with the money or see if they would be interested in my first born child(when I get one). Heck depending on what day you ask I might even throw in a free husband. Lol. Ive been wanting to get/build a bigger coop, but it doesnt look like thats gonna happen. Ive seen on here and other sites people using these as their chicken coops and they love them. I would have to figure out my nest, vents, roosts and whatnot, but I think I would be able to work something out.

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Would you use it for a chicken coop? It may get too hot. Well, maybe with the right ventilation it would be okay.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    One of my friends convinced a group of people to buy into her egg business up front. She promised them x number of eggs each week. They all paid her $500 for x number of weeks for x number of weeks (I don't remember the numbers). So with her $3500 she had a local Amish fella build her hen house to her specs. And purchased some point of lay pullets (for eggs quickly) and a flock of day old chicks (for eggs later).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  4. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    [​IMG]
    had me going:lau
    I use a shed for 3 of mine ,2 girls 1 roo and works great for summer, we took the doors off ,if you set it up under a tree it will be fine from heat, we fenced in the area so we have a fenced coop around it.in the winter we bring all of them into our big garage we set it up like a barn.let them wander during day when not to bad out.[​IMG]

5. havi

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Quote:Yea Ive thought about it. No way would I pay the $900+ for a new one, but if I have the money to buy this one I think I would. I would install windows and everything else needed for a normal coop. Ive read about it on another site Im on. They install make shift windows and caulked everything in so the rain couldnt get in. With it being plastic I would move it to another part of our yard where there is more shade so it wouldnt be as hot.

6. havi

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Quote:That would be nice. I live out in the country where lots of people either have chickens or already have a place to get them from. I figured it up one day with the material bought from Lowes the small coop Im wanting to build would cost $500 or so. Then you have to figure out the cost for the person building it. I have NO skills whatsoever with building anything. And DH will have NOTHING to do with it either. Ive had a few people tell me to go to the local school and get the AG dept or something to see if they would build it. Well the only school within range is one little building K-12 go to. Their 'AG Dept' consist of about 3 kids and a teacher. So thats a no go. Ive thought about putting an ad on craigslist for bartering. Build my chicken coop for .... but I havent figured it out yet. [​IMG]

7. keljonma

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I'm not sure how that worked, but the hen house and the labor cost her under $1500. She lets her flock run their acreage and they just sleep, eat and lay eggs in the hen house.

She also took a couple of those Little Tykes play houses and set them up as hen houses. She added crates for nest boxes and I think some stools or small ladders for roosts.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:If she values the eggs at $3 a dozen she will need to come up with 14,000 eggs to repay the debt!

At $500 per customer, that means a dozen eggs a week for a little over 3 years!

She better order more chickens!!!

9. keljonma

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:She has over 100 layers now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by