Anyone wanna play "name that chick"?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Javabarnes, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Javabarnes

Javabarnes Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    We got 6 chicks from a local feed store. 3 are buff orpingtons which so far we love, they are so friendly and will eat out of your hand. But the other 3 we got we have no clue what they are. They are much more skiddish and hard to catch when it's time to bring them in for the night. Anyone want to take a guess at what they are? I don't know how old they are....we were guessing 6-8 weeks.

This was a week ago when we got them....[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this was today....Sorry the pics are through the chicken wire

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    They look like gold Lakenvelders.

3. Javabarnes

Javabarnes Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    uh-oh. Everything I have read about them makes them not sound like good birds. Now I wish we would have gotten all orpingons. These are out first ever chickens, so learning experience anyway.

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Lakenvelders are pretty birds that are decent layers of white eggs but are fairly flighty.

5. raising the roost

raising the roost Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    SoCal
    Gold lakenvelder hens have beautiful coloration, our month old chick was a whim purchase. They are prone to flightiness, but that can be tempered with wing clipping.

6. Madhen80

Madhen80 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    Huh. They look exactly like my banties that I got from TSC that I had no idea what they were. Everyone's best guess was Mille Fluer d'uccle's but I started to second guess that when the black feathers around the neck came in. Interesting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by