1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone want a Black Australorp hen, well, maybe not...

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Freebie, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    the only thing is, you can not eat her eggs, or her. She was attacked by a dog on Saturday, and today, I found maggots. So, I cleaned her all up and put some powerful antibiotic ointment on her. The vet that live up the road came over and let me use it. She first asked if I was going to eat her, and I said no. She just called and said that we could not eat the eggs from her either. Not just for a while, but ever. So now if she survives the wound, which I am pretty sure she is going to, I need a home for her. I don't how to tell her eggs apart. I have 2 other Black Australorps. So, if anyone has chickens, but does not eat the eggs or can tell them apart, let me know and we will see if we can work somthing out.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Thats wierd......what meds were used that you can NEVER eat her eggs again!??? I would check into that, before you get rid of her. I have never heard of that before.

3. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I can't see any antibiotic living in her system forever. I would double check that as well.

I would be worried whoever I gave her to the info would get twisted and somewhere along the lines somebody would eat the "tainted eggs". Therefore I would put her down instead.

But again I am very doubtful forever is the case. Can you find out the name of the antibiotic ?

Good luck !!!

Julie

4. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Nitrofurazone. I went and looked around the internet a little. Did not really understant alot.
    The lable on the bottle says "Federal law prohibits the use of this product in food producing animals" She may be just being cautious. I am not using it on her anymore, just the one time last night. The bird is eating and drinking very well. But I have moved her to the garage. Where there aren't near as many flies as there are in the barn. My husband thinks we should just put her down.

Edited to add. Thanks for the replies, and it will be awhile before she heals. Now that you mention something getting lost in the translation.... My husband did take the message from her husband. And all the while I was cleaning her up, my dear husband was holding on to the chicken saying"are you sure you just don't want to put her down?" So things very well could be mis understood. I will talk to her sometime this week, when I return the meds to her.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Forever is a new one on me too...I'd double check that statement from the vet...

6. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, just so you know, for next time, and anyone else reading this...

If you have some Penicillin, and your hen gets maggots in the wound; give her a shot of Penicillin and LEAVE THE MAGGOTS ALONE. I know what I am talking about, I have done that ALOT of times in the past. They are natures way of cleaning out the dead tissue... they will not eat living tissue.
    The penicillin will keep the infection from spreading, and the maggots will clean it up right nicely.

Sounds gross, but it works like a charm.

7. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    wclawrence is correct about the maggots.

I saw something on tv a while back -- some hospital
    was looking at the possibility of using maggots on patients with deep wounds; they said they would eat all the "bad" tissue, which would help wounds heal quicker.

THINK ABOUT THIS:

Have you ever seen maggots on anything that was not
    decaying?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by