Anyone want a free chicken or 2.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Pootersmama, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Pootersmama

Pootersmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    New Jersey
    Hi all,

I live in northern NJ and am very new to backyard chickening. I have a small coop and ended up with 6 chickens. [​IMG] The last 3 were 1 more than I really wanted and I am finding a flock of 6 is too many. [​IMG] Not to mention the newer 3 are way bigger than the original 3 and they are mean to the smaller birds. I have a leg horn I would like to see go to a good home and possibly a Red Star. They were hatched in mid March. Any takers....[​IMG]

2. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    How far are you from Mass? I am a huge fan of free!

3. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    wouldn't mind taking them but you are about 1000 miles from me. Would you deliver? [​IMG]

4. Pootersmama

Jun 1, 2010
    New Jersey
    Fom Mass. about 5 hours, we are 45 minutes from NYC.
    Tenn. They are free, I am not shipping....

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I would think about keeping the red star, they are such good egg layers. mk

6. Me & My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    I would love to have them but 5 hours is quite far. Can you mapquest from your location to Palmer ma? Im only 1-1/2 hrs from NYC depending on time of day and traffic on 95.

7. Pootersmama

Jun 1, 2010
    New Jersey
    Me & My Peeps...According to map quest you are 188 miles from me. 3 1/2 hours (mapquest does over estimate time). Up to you, I would love her to go to a good home.

8. Me & My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    How many you looking to rehome again? 188 miles X2 = 376 miles round trip and a day in the truck divided by "X" chickens............any of them laying yet? That would certainly sweeten the pot [​IMG]

9. Pootersmama

Jun 1, 2010
    New Jersey
    They have not started laying yet (they may be close to the age though)....as of right now 1 definate, I would have to think about the other/red star....[​IMG]

As far as flock managment, I have a Maran and 2 Silkies I am keeping, they are still young and the original 3. We added 3 others, the leghorn, a red star, and a golden laced wydonette. The hubs is partial to the wydonette. I want to tip the balance so they don't attack the smaller chickens. I think the coop is too small for all 6. I really only wanted 5, but the person who gave them to me talked me into taking 3.

10. hithere753

hithere753 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    Hi, I am in Southern NJ near Cherry Hill and am interested. Are the 2 chickens still available?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by