1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone want to explain the ins and outs of feeding dogs a raw diet?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by georgialee, May 19, 2009.

1. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I know I can look it up but there is SO much info out there (some of it conflicting) I thought those of you with experience could probably explain it better. Do you have to give vitamin supplements if you feed raw?

I have an 18-month old Wolfhound who's probably around 150lbs. Right now he's eating Diamond maintenance which I know isn't the greatest brand, but not the worst either. The average life-span of wolfies in the U.S. is around 6 yrs old... I really want him to live longer than that.

Thanks!

2. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I tried raw but lived in the city and my dogs all had the runs soo bad and I couldn't wait it out til they got accustomed to it.I know for me I had a book that had menus and suggestions on supplements Give YOur Dog a bone was the name of the book.But you can also feed Evo or other companies make a kibble or even a freeze dried kibble that is grain free and takes all the guess work out of it.taste of the wild etc.Or you can supplement your kibble with a raw or evo.I think the best thing is to pick a good brand name kibble if you are going to use kibble.I do use Diamond but it is the Diamond Natural and it contains no corn,wheat soy etc.With the economy I had to pick something less expensive but still corn,wheat etc free and the Diamond Naturals fit the bill for me.Keep your dog thin and excersise to extend his life too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by