Anyone want to help ID my new chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kristenm1975, Mar 15, 2012.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    [​IMG]
    Possibly the Partridge Penedesenca I ordered from My Pet Chicken

[​IMG]
    Possibly the Easter Egger from My Pet Chicken (can't see them, but her shanks are grayish color)

I ordered only five chicks, 1 Ancona, which is impossible to miss; 1 Rhode Island Red, ditto; and then 2 Easter Eggers and the 1 Partridge Penedesenca. I had one chick DOA, and it's shanks were also grayish. I'm assuming the two with the gray shanks must be the 2 EE's, but I'd read that Partridge Pen's have the gray shanks. Confused. Anyone want to take a stab at it?

Thanks!

2. kristenm1975

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    What, not even a guess??

3. Othylocke

Othylocke Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    Dothan, AL
    Your guess is as good as mine. I know they are chicks :)

I know that doesn't help, but maybe someone will pop in with some

4. kristenm1975

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Too funny. Yup, chicks for sure. Although that reminds me of a time when I traded two young bantam cochin pullets with a lady who had one black copper marans pullet she was willing to part with. When I met her for the swap, she had apparently been picking up other birds too. I had to check them out of course, and noticed that a few of them looked funny around the beak. Upon further research, I discovered later they were turkey poults. She thought she was just getting some extra special chickens. :) Bet she was surprised when her new "chicks" hit a growth spurt that didn't ever stop.

5. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    RIR"s maybe?

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Did you specify NO substitutions? I'm not seeing any fuzzy cheeks - MPC has some seriously fuzzy-cheeked EEs. I'm not familiar with penedesencas, though, so maybe they're all that. Or maybe they are now sending EEs without muffs, but seems unlikely. I know some people have had "surprise" substitutions when they didn't realize they had to check the box to make sure they got EXACTLY what they ordered.

7. featheredroots

featheredroots Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    The one on the bottom could definitely be an EE. I've had 4 and none of them had puffy cheeks as babies, it took several months for that to develop.

8. jhook1997

jhook1997 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    I just got 2 EE chicks on the 7th from MPC and they had very obvious muffs. Yours is not so obvious but you are right about the grey legs.

9. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I recently got 3 EE from my pet chicken and 2 have very obvious muffs the others is hardly noticable but she is very obviously an EE. Your second one looks very much like an EE.

10. kristenm1975

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I did remember to hit the "NO substitutions button", thank goodness. Thanks for the ideas on the breeds. I'll have to see if the little fuzzy cheeks develop. I do remember having EE's in the past and was bothered by the fact that the cheeks were SO fluffy that they curled up and into the poor chicks' eyes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by