Anyone want to help me ID some mushrooms?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by peewee, Jul 31, 2011.

1. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I have been noticing a large number of different mushrooms in the yard this year. I was just curious to see if anyone can help me in IDing them. Thanks for the help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Sorry I cant help with the identification- but I wanted to comment on what lovely photos they are. I saw some very interesting fungi yesterday and took some photos myself.. Funny how something such as mushrooms and fungi can make such wonderful photos.

3. chickens friend

chickens friend Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2009
    Southwest virginia
    I can't help out much either, but would love to learn to identify them, some mushrooms can be eaten while some can kill you.[​IMG]

4. pinguin

pinguin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    SW IL
    Quote:Except for a very few mushrooms, such as morels, making an ID from a photo is tough. Your best bet is to pick up a mushroom field guide, as well as a ruler, notebook and black/white paper for spore prints.

Make notes: how large is the cap, how wide/long the stipe (stem). Is the 'shroom gilled? Or does it have pores? Are the gills close? Are they free of the stipe? Does the 'shroom have a veil (filmy membrane that hangs from the stipe)? Is the cap sticky, hairy, thick, thin? Does it turn inky (deliquesce) as the fruiting part of the mushroom dies?

Even after many years of collecting mushrooms to eat, as well as photographing them, I still use field marks and spore prints to positively identify many.

There are quite a few excellent mycology sites. Here's one I've used: http://www.mushroomexpert.com/

Good luck.

5. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Thank you for the comments and the help. Pinguin. thank you. I have that page booked marked. I will try and go threw it tomorrow. Was just trying to find out if these could be id' so I could at least say "this is a.........." instead of "well, it's just a 'shroom that I found out in the yard."

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Beautiful pix, peewee, but I'm no help on IDing them either.

Pinguin,

Most excellent and helpful post on IDing them! [​IMG]

When we first moved to our land in the fall of '09, I decided to get out in our woods and take some native wildflower pix only to find so many different mushrooms and fungi...it was amazing!

I broke down and bought the National Audabon Society's Field Guide to Mushrooms North America) and it was one of the best $20.95 that I've ever spent!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by