Anyone want to help us choose a few new chicks???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SeaChick, Jan 24, 2008.

1. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    We can only have 6 chickens, so ultimately we'll only get to keep 2 of the new chicks we get (we're replacing the 2 girls we adopted last fall since one of them is super bossy and aggressive and we feel we should introduce 2 new ones rather than 1 if we do this.) But we figure we'll get 3 or 4 chicks to cover the roo-possibility issue, and then just keep our 2 favorites.

here are the criteria:
    Bears confinement well
    Friendly, docile, non-aggressive
    Lays lots of eggs
    Prefer rare/unusual or heritage breed
    Standard-size chicken
    Pretty to look at
    Interesting colored eggs a plus!!

Here's what we're considering:
    Easter Egger/ Ameraucana (hatchery) since we love the blue eggs of the girl we'll be losing.
    Partridge Rock
    Gold Laced Wyandotte
    Buff Orpington
    Rhode Island Red
    Welsumer

What the local feed stores can order will matter here, so probably nothing TOO rare/unusual.

WE'll have already: Black Australorp ([​IMG]), SLW, Barred Rock, Cinnamon Queen.

Thanks everyone!!

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    SeaChick, you need to live in Wellfleet, have a Wellcraft boat and raise Welsummer chickens.

Seriously, I think EE's would be cutest for your projects. Who can resist the exotic markings and neato egg color?

Have fun choosing.

3. elliemb

elliemb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    I like all your options!! How can we choose just six??!! I guess if I had to limit my birds I would choose based on the colour of both the egg and the bird. So maybe I would like blue, brown, and white eggs, and buff, black, and white birds!! [​IMG]

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I would say EE's as well.

I think Wyandottes are pretty, too, but I haven't much luck in the attitude department with them.

Have you considered standard Cochins?? I am going to try some this year.

5. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    oh oh partridge rocks those are my favs. They are friendly and love attention, they have pretty feathers...I just love them.

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

For some reason, my partridge rocks are the most skittish in the coop. No one else seem to have that problem with them. However, they do lay well and they are nice to look at.

7. SeaChick

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Thanks guys! Keep the suggestions coming! I am thinking I will get 3 or 4... like 2 EEs and one each of 2 other breeds, and then see who we like best as they get older. Angie, do cochins lay well? That's a key consideration for us since can only have 6!

Stacey

8. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    SeaChick,

I had banty Cochins and they wanted to go broody as opposed to egg-laying, just a thing to consider if you want eggs more than you want a broody hen.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

9. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Welsumer!!!!!
    Ameraucana!!!
    And while not exotic, they are heritage...Delaware. My girl is just the SWEETEST thing!

10. SeaChick

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Hooligan,
    what are the welsumer's dispositions? how about egg-laying quantities? They lay dark-ish brown eggs, right? that sounds very col if our feed store can order them......
    Stacey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by