1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone want to join me in an Ideal order this spring? (Central KY)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Andora, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I want to order some Houdan chicks for my 2 year old around Easter this coming spring from Ideal. I only want a few chicks though. Does anyone else want to order with me so we can split the shipping totals? (I live in Lexington.) I don't have a set time I'm ordering yet, thought I would check and see who all might be interested first. I don't think Ideal has posted their spring hatch dates yet, but they did contact me to say that they would be taking orders for Houdans starting on January 10th.

If you're interested, please post to this thread instead of PMing me so nothing gets lost in my inbox!

2. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    how many are you going to have to order? and are they going to be mottled

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Did Cindy (cthrash1) decide if she was going to go-in with you? I'm interested in a few self blue cochins, but Lexington is way to far for me to drive! If she does, I can order some, and have her pick them up whenever she gets hers.

4. briarpatchfarms

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Quote:if there mottled i want to go in!

5. rpsmith

rpsmith Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2008
    Andora - I'm a beginner and looking for 3 pullets (I have been schooled on some of the lingo). Spring would be a great time....give me time to build a coop. I'm at Ft. Knox so lexington is only a couple of hours away. I went to the ideal web sight and it looks like the 25$ doesn't have to be all the same types of chicks. I was also confused about their sexing policy. If I go in for 3-5 what are the chances that there are males mixed in? How big are they when they arrive and how long before they start laying (approximately)? How long from receipt to the birds being big enough to go in a coop?

There are always people looking for laying hens around here so I figure if I get 5 and all 5 survive I can sell/give 2 before they get too big.

Thanks.
    RP

6. rpsmith

Dec 27, 2008
    I reread the post and it looks like the entire order has to be Houdans? What is a Houdan? Couldn't find it on the Ideal web site.

7. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    It doesn't have to be all houdans, you all can order whatever you want! The last Houdan I got from Ideal was black and white mottled and a very, very sweet bird. That's why I want more from them. You can order as few chicks as you want, technically, but the shipping is way cheaper if more people go in and split it, plus they are less likely to send a bunch of packing peanut roosters that no one needs!

rpsmith--
    You could order just three of any breed(s) you want from the Ideal site as long as all the breeds we order hatch on the same date. They'll list the dates soon, sometime in January. You can order some breeds sexed, and some come only straight run (roosters and pullets at random). I always try to order sexed when I can. The Houdans (I think) only come straight run, so I'm probably going to order 10 to be sure I get a couple healthy pullets, then I'll sell or give away the extras. If they come sexed I'll order 5 or 6 pullets, because I've found that you usually get a couple of mistake roosters. They ship out the chicks the same day they hatch, and depending on what breeds you get, they'll start laying somewhere around 18-20 weeks I think. You can't put them into the coop right away, you have to set up a brooder cage or box with a heat lamp in a spare room or your garage/barn, so you would have time to quickly set up a coop! Depending on the outside temp, they could be ready to go into the coop around 8 weeks. They can regulate their body temperature as soon as they are fully feathered out, some seem to take longer than others.

https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/Products.aspx?Category=Polish Chicken (Top Hats) The Houdans are on this page. I like to keep some crested birds just for fun, my two year old loves them because they are tame and friendly, more so than our other chickens. They're also easier for her to catch...I think because they can't see her coming with the huge crest in their eyes. [​IMG] We ordered the crested special in November, and it was like Christmas waiting to see what kind of crested birds all our chicks turned into!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  8. briarpatchfarms

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    let me know when they post i want houdan and sultans

9. rpsmith

Dec 27, 2008
    Andora, Great! I'm going to send you a PM so you have my address and can let me know when the dates are posted and I'll order 5 of types that have the same dates as the Houdans. My boys were getting excited looking at all the different types available.

Do they have, or need, shots of any type? Is there anything else I need to prepare other than the coop?

Thanks for the info.

RP

10. LauraDenise

LauraDenise New Egg

Dec 29, 2008
    Waco Kentucky
    Hi Andora! I'm new, and interested in going in on your order for the Houdan chicks. I'd like to start out with 4 chicks.

I live n Richmond, but my DH and I both work in Lexington, so it will be no problem for me to come and pick them up, and pay you cash for them and my portion of the shipping.

If this is okay just PM me your phone number.
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by