Anyone want to play the sexing chicks game? Please??!! Six 5-6 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Missymac, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Missymac

Missymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    They are almost 6 weeks old. First 4 are Barred Rocks, last 2 are Black Astrops(SP?) They are suppose to be all pullets. Yes? No?

BR #1
    [​IMG]

BR #2
    [​IMG]

BR #3
    [​IMG]

BR #4
    [​IMG]

BA #1
    [​IMG]

BA #2
    [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They look more like 4.5 to 5 weeks old, to my eye.

Barred Rocks are pretty easy to sex, but they need to truly be 6 weeks old. The cockerels will have brighter, wide, white bars while the pullets will look darker, with spotty, cuckoo type bars. The cockerels are already sprouting their red/pink combs and wattles while the pullets will not. Their combs will remain yellowish and no wattles.

Here is a hatchery pair at 6 weeks and a heritage pair at 8 weeks. The sex difference is quite obvious at that age.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry, can't help with the 'Lorp.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  3. Missymac

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    Awesome pictures, these came from someone who raises 4H birds, hatched at her house as was the adults she has. Her husband was home at pick up not her, and he doesn't know as much about birds(he says he tries to stay away from him). He said he thought is wife said they were 5-6 weeks old and suppose to be all pullets in that run. (the alleged cockerals were in another run). So since I had to get my own birds, I went in after the ones hardest to catch. It was quite a challenge. lol. I guess I am playing the wait and see game as well.

4. Henny

Henny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Northeast
    That is a great comparison with photos and all! I agree!

5. TERRY4

TERRY4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Jeromesville, Ohio
    My barred rock chicks aren't near telling the difference, but I truly appreciate this thread. I will be showing it to my hubby. Is it the same with rhode island reds?

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Very similar with Reds. At 7 weeks, the cockerels will sprout combs and wattles, the pullets normally do not.

Pullets at 8 weeks. Still nothing much showing

[​IMG]

Mostly cockerels in this shot. At 8 weeks, they already are showing both combs and wattles.

[​IMG]

7. Henny

Henny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Northeast
    That is very interesting with the Reds as well. I wonder if you can tell early on about the breeds that have pea combs? I have some mixed Americaunas and find it is so hard to tell pullets vs. cockerels with them until they start to get their hackle feathers and start to crow.

8. crazycluck86

crazycluck86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    uk
    [​IMG]

Can anyone help with sexing my almost 3 week old brahmas? Or is it to early to tell?

9. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Judging by their feathers they are either 1-2 week old females or probably male. But I still don't think they are 3 weeks yet. Also, are you sure they are Brahma?? I don't know much about darks but neither lights or buffs have that chipmunk pattern.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  10. Missymac

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    [​IMG] Please Please let them be all girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by