Anyone want to predict what my chicks would look like :3

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ocikat, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Ocikat

Ocikat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2016
    Ok so this is mostly just for fun but anyway the dad is a black rose comb bantam and the mom is what I can only assume is a barred rock bantam(???) Anyway here's the picture [​IMG]
    I'll be sure to update when the chicks hatch and grow

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You'll have black sexlinks. The males will all hatch with a white spot on the back of their heads.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Black sex links.

Males will hatch with a white/cream spot on the head and feather out barred, like momma. Females will hatch out with solid dark heads, and be basically black like Dad.

The rose comb is dominant, so if he's pure for it, all the chicks will be rose combed.

Not sure about the white earlobes. In my limited experience they're partially dominant, so you may get some mixed color lobes.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

5. kidsbme3

kidsbme3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Forsyth County, NC
    [​IMG]
    this is one of our young Exchequer leghorn pullets. Sadly our rooster fell over dead one day. Trying to find a replacement from a rare bird breeder. Harder than think. Any way, I thought maybe just for funsies I would breed the girls to a buff Orpington. Not for show but for pet or a project. Haven't found the cross yet. Definitely not a recognized breed. Any ideas on what it could look like and/or if it's been done, what they are called. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The mottling is recessive. Most will be solid black with some red/gold.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

They would be barnyard mix. Sadly, that pretty white is recessive and won't show up on your chicks. Basically what you'll be doing is crossing a black bird with a buff bird. Those two colors can make some pretty offspring cause buff doesn't get swallowed up by the black like other colors can. Your chicks would be about half and half buff and black. You can find pics of black x buff birds here on byc or google.

8. Ocikat

Mar 9, 2016
    oh I also have the same rooster and a red sex link eggs that are incubating and the sex link isn't a bantam so which size gene is dominant? I don't have a picture of her but she also has a single comb, I'm pretty sure that they're all going to be black but you guys know you're stuff and also thanks for the responses <3

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Red sexlinks usually have dominant white. Dominant white only affects black. So, about half will be white with some red/gold. The rose comb is dominant over single combs.

10. Ocikat

Mar 9, 2016
    well my red sex link might not be a real sex link because her tail feathers have black instead of the lighter gold I've seen in pictures but she was in the wrong bin at tractor supply (was advertised as an amber link and that's not right because she's not white) but someone told me at a chicken swap that she's a red sex link

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by