Anyone watch SECRET MILLIONAIRE tonight ....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by unionwirewoman, Dec 3, 2008.

1. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    I usually don't watch too much tv.....but dh and I were worn out today and flipping through channels .

For anyone that has never heard of this show.....this is the "plot" . A millionaire has to spend a week living in "poverty" ...meet "poor" people , and decide how much money he/she will give them . The "poor" people have no idea this person is a millionaire .

That being said...I have mixed feelings . I think it's great someone with money would want to give to others less fortunate...on the other hand I feel as if these people should know how hard it is for us working folks . Why does it have to take a person to live like a "poor" person to realize that this is REALLY what the world is like ?

I'm not saying that everyone who has money should feel bad , there are tons of people out there who have worked very hard , came from poverty and broken homes to get to where they are . I do believe , however , that if you are able to help out ...then do it . Not for tv , not to make you feel better , not to brag to your friends . It should be done because you can . In the world we live in now...we all need these millionaires to help us out ,lol !

Funny thing is...these rich people learned how happy poor people are , how they live life trying to make others happy and welcoming others into thier homes even if they coudn't afford it . I think alot of us could sit and ponder this...if not to help out others....to get ourselves into a better state of finance .[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's a TV show. Look at all the other "reality" junk on there and I bet they put the best combination of people together for the biggest bang to get the buck from the advertisers. I'm sure the rich guy that was there wasn't the average rich guy, and the poor weren't the average poor, just what matches made the best show through editing.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I bet the whole thing was made for viewing for ratings!!!! Get them ratings! And i also bet those people knew - how do you follow someone around with a camera and they don't know????

4. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    That's what dh and I were wondering.....what's the explanation for the cameras . The "poor" people seemed genuinley surprised , but who knows ! What a bunch of feel good nonsense ![​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

it's like those car chase shows.... Are they really recording the sound of tires squealing and people shouting? Nooo.....

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    hidden camera in coats/clothes/etc. And maybe was for viewings. perhaps some people will see the show and think "wow.. i should do this" Doubt it, but it could work [​IMG]

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Reality TV isn't "reality." It's designed to pull people in to get as many viewers as possible. Producers try to come up with the most ridiculous situations possible in order to get people to watch. In fact, I think reality TV is the television equivalent of yellow journalism.

For the millionaire show, of course, the rich person is going to be portrayed as clueless about poverty and having a magical "change of heart" by the end of the show. It's scripted that way.

Just don't watch it, and don't let it bug you. There are plenty of wealthy people out there who do a lot for their communities and for people in other countries.

8. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I agree that Reality TV is not really Reality. But the show does raise an interesting point, which you suggested we ponder. To me that point is, "Money does not always make you happy!" and "Happiness comes from so many other places". Our society tells us that money, possessions are what we need to be happy. This is a point to ponder. That is so not true.

On a funny note, what these people really need to be happy is of course ........... CHICKENS!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by