1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Anyone watch Whale Wars??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by redhen, May 11, 2010.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I dont know about those people...
    I'm watching it now.. they're ramming the whaling boats and throwing dangerous things on the other boats decks... crazy dangerous things...
    Why dont the whaler guys shoot at them or something??
    NOT that i agree with whaling... i hate what they are doing to the whales....
    but jeez.. these folks are kinda nuts if ya ask me....

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  2. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Ugh, I know! They drive me crazy. I totally support their intent to end whaling, I think to hunt another sentient creature is truly nasty, but I cannot stand the way they go about it.
    Those whalers are just trying to make a living. If one wants to end the practice, one should work to change the culture that provides a market for the product!

3. patnjess

patnjess Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    agrred, but they are bad A--! whatever those whalers are nuts, and cruel, and they are doing what they need to draw attention to the problem and how awesome is that. Oh and I love the smashing pumpkins song at the begining takes me back to high school....

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I hate to see how those poor whales die..
    Whales are SO smart..its amazing..
    Actually they are the 3rd smartest creatue on the planet... (i believe)
    Humans
    Primates
    Whales/dolphins
    piggies!! [​IMG]
    (not sure what comes next...lol)

5. Ferrret

Ferrret Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Michigan
    The thing that annoys me about the whale wars guys isn't their aggressive tactics but the cut off in their logic.
    If you make the whale unusable to the whalers, they will just go out and kill another whale. It makes the issue worse.
    The whale hunters aren't going to shrug their shoulders and say "Well gee, I guess we can't get another whale because we have met our quota."

The over aggressive stance doesn't help them a lot either, mostly because it makes them look like a loose nut fringe group. Sure it gets attention, but does it bring sympathy with that attention?

Whaling is an outdated and unneeded practice now. The meat is delicacy food and the fats that were used for lantern oil and perfume making just aren't needed for such things anymore.
    There are better ways to bring attention and get support. Borderline terrorism isn't the best route.

6. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Songster

The whalers are breaking the laws, so they can't expect not to encounter resistance from someone.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree and actually their leader, Paul Watson, has been shot by the whalers. He was saved by a bullet-proof vest.
    Read up a bit on the Sea Shepherds and it's a little easier to understand their motives and tactics.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:I agree and actually their leader, Paul Watson, has been shot by the whalers. He was saved by a bullet-proof vest.
    Read up a bit on the Sea Shepherds and it's a little easier to understand their motives and tactics.

OOh, i totally understand their motives.. i get it.
    But still..yikes.. they're a bit nuts.. IMO...
    Nuts is okay sometimes though... [​IMG]

9. herfrds

herfrds Songster

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    He wasn't shot.
    I watched that season and never watched them again.

It was a piece of of the stun gernade. they just blew it all out of poportion to get attention.
    The quick look they let the camera have showed it was formed wrong for a bullet on impact to a bullet proof vest.

These are the same people who went across Wyoming cutting fences a few years ago.
    Even though I do not support whaling the way these people go about it is totally stupid.

I no longer watch Animal Planet because they show this stuff. Nor any other channel that shows it.

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    The whalers need to mount deck guns and put a stop to that nonsense.

I don't support whaling and want to see it come to an end completely. But those nutcases are not the way it should be done.

.....Alan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: