anyone with a rubbermaid coop?

Didn't know they made one...would love to see it if someone comes up with it.
caf.gif

Mine is something similiar to that?!

It's plastic. And a yard Shed. It has one window which my husband replaced with hardware cloth. And he also build a solid lockable wooden window Cover that is proped open during summer. The sunroof is plastic and solid. It gives the coop a lot of natural light.

It has 4 sets of double doors. I can open 3 sets during the day to keep it ventilated.

I only have a couple of hens, and so I partitioned the coop in half using zipties and chicken wire to the ceiling. I also used to old formica to make a half wall....so that the bedding wouldn't flow thru the chicken wire and out of the coop area.

I was able to prop a roost stick, wedged really, between two walls.

Being that it's all plastic, when I strip and clean the walls once a month, it's super easy to clean up.

At first I thought my husband was a fool when he suggested we use the plastic shed....now I think he's brilliant. lol.

If you'd like photos, I could get some.
smile.png

Oh and the heat question......today it was SMOKING hot outside.....my hens stayed inside the coop, because it is so nicely ventilated with all the doors. It had to of been 20 degrees cooler in the coop. (which suprised me, I also thought heat was going to be an issue)

Last edited:
I use a rubbermaid shed as a coop. I was in a hurry and thought it would be a quick temporary solution. Liked it so much kept it for 6 years. Perfectly dry inside. I built the insides to come completely out. Only need a broom to clean. I hear thoughts that it would get too hot. I don't know why it would get hotter than any other, but that's not even an issue for me, as I live in the Seattle area and the yard is very shady. Have had no problem in the winter or the recent 103* temps.

Imp

Coop cleaning was last Monday
The shed
15498_img_0051.jpg

The insides
15498_img_0052.jpg

Put together
15498_img_0056.jpg

The run
15498_img_0057.jpg

My coop is not Rubbermaid but Royal Outdoor and it is fabulous! It is still going strong after five and half years.

Taken in the winter.
chickens034.jpg

The ONLY regret I had with this shed, I should have bought a 10 x 8 shed instead of the 4 x 7 shed.

Once I get the bigger shed, I will use this small shed for brooding chicks or isolation.

I ran across this example recently. Referred to as a "plastic coop" it has an attached dog kennel as run. The pictures are in the buckeye chicken photo album on this page:
http://www.crainsrunranch.com/Buckeye_Chickens.php
I have the remains of a plastic building that I may reconstruct and try out. I say remains since we moved it from one house to another, which I think loosened all the joints up, and one day I came home and the wind had caught it and scattered parts of it 50 yards into the field beside our house. I've had it stacked in a pile ever since wondering what I would do with it. I think I know now. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom