Anyone with an incubator has to try this!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Gatewayto, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Gatewayto

Gatewayto Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2016
    Battle Ground WA
    The Japanese did it again. Doing something out of the norm.

We now can see clearly every step of the hatching process at home! Extremely easy to do Hatching an egg using in a clear plastic cup.

https://www.facebook.com/SpoonTamago/videos/vb.101095533290084/1025791007487194/?type=2&theater
    (3 minutes video)

Material needed:
    An incubator large enough to fit clear plastic cup
    Some clear plastic cup
    Clear shrink wrap
    A pen (or anything to poke small holes in the shrink wrap)

Basic instruction:
    1. Get your incubator ready for hatching (all the normal steps)
    2. Get a clear plastic cup
    3. Place a piece of shrink wrap about 2 inch inside the cup to hold a cracked egg
    4. Crack a fertilized egg no to the shrink wrap
    5. Poke about 10 small holes at about 1/3 of an inch from the top all around the cup
    6. Cover the opening the cup with another piece of shrink wrap
    7. Place the cub inside the incubator!

Watch as the egg grow – so cool – going to try this this weekend and will post updates Please search your experience if you try this.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I've seen the video but commentary was in Japanese - so don't know the details. But how do you know when the chick is truly ready? What if the egg sac hasn't been absorbed yet?

Does the chick go through the motions of trying to pip etc. which would be instinctive?. Couldn't it's little egg tooth tear the plastic wrap? I am a perpetual skeptic. I think it's all smoke and mirrors. Hope they don't decide to have human pregnancies in a Rubbermaid bowl or something. ICK!!

2 people like this.
  3. Gatewayto

Mar 8, 2016
    Battle Ground WA
    I had similar reaction/questions when I saw this video as well. Well not the human thing.. but about the egg breaking through the plastic like an egg shell.

Will find out in about 15 days I guess. Going to try this and see.. still lots of trial and error since I do not have the lab write up.

4. Gatewayto

Mar 8, 2016
    Battle Ground WA
    Hmm now that I think about application to this way of hatching eggs.. it maybe realistic to think this could apply to our beef and pork .. or any animal. Lab develop animal........ just have to figure out how to connect a fetus umbilical cord..

Blaa that is another topic.. as for now.. going to try and see if this will work : )

5. penny1960

penny1960 la la land awaits Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    all a bit cifi for me but I am old school have hen, have roo, hen hatches egg.
    Next we can decide if we want roos or pullets?
    Today was absolutely beautiful here a little bitty sprinkle this
    evening... all the pullets out dusting themselves today

6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Make sure you let us know how your experiment turns out.

Anyone know Japanese to translate for use?

7. penny1960

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    There are translator apps on google

8. penny1960

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    it is but remember Dolly

9. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

If you freeze the video you will see the details from the original(successful) experiment of how they set it up. There are some chemicals/materials I don't have ready access too but I also don't know exactly how crucial they are for the experiment either.

10. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    They all died by day 17 unless pure oxygen was added to the bottom of the cup. They also needed calcium lactate and distilled water in the bottom of the plastic film before the pre-incubated egg was carefully cracked into it.

[​IMG] Nothing on video is ever as easy as it looks: https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jpsa/51/3/51_0130043/_pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by