Anyone with Blue Slate turkeys tell me about their color?

chickenfried

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 3, 2010
Chanute
I bought some Blue Slate turkey eggs and there was some confusion in the e-mail messsage that I got when the eggs were shipped.
Now they are 15 days old and 2 are black and one is brown and I am thinking that they aren't Blue Slate but not sure as I have never had Blue Slate's. Can anyone tell me if they are or aren't Blue Slate turkey's?

Last edited:
blue slates will at times produce blacks. They breed just like any other blue poultry does, being black based, they will at times make blacks, there are breeding regements you can follow that will eliminate black offspring, but very few folks follow it.
never seen a brown one of them before though, most likely a bronze there

Last edited:
Following text is an excerpt from "1998 SPPA Turkey Census Report"
by Paula Johnson

This variety is very interesting, and I will attempt to explain what can happen in breeding this color. First, I will try to define each color that occurs. A Slate is also called a Splash and is slate or ashy blue with specks of black scattered over the feathers. The Blue is more of a solid, dull, grayish-blue with the hens a lighter bluish gray. The Black is just that, black. When breeding Blue to Blue, the results are turkeys of three different colors: Slate, Blue, and Black. When breeding Slate to Slate, the results are just Slates and Slates will breed true. When breeding the Blue to Black, both Blues and Blacks result with no Slates. When breeding the Black to Black, just Blacks result, which breed true.

The link I posted from Porter above has the history and breeding of blue slates. It is very interesting. I get lots of colors from my blue slate hens. I can show tons of pictures. These poults where from what I call a dirty slate hen. Not the same dirty slate hens that they talk about on the Porter site above.
57076_goats_and_chickens_012.jpg

Thanks for the replies been working long hours just took a few minutes to read your replies and I will try and post some pictures and let you see them and then decide there is no blue or grayish blue to them just black with some white mostly on the wings and one with a lot of brown. Thanks again.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom