Anyone with Blue Slate turkeys tell me about their color?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by chickenfried, May 31, 2010.

1. chickenfried

chickenfried Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Chanute
    I bought some Blue Slate turkey eggs and there was some confusion in the e-mail messsage that I got when the eggs were shipped.
    Now they are 15 days old and 2 are black and one is brown and I am thinking that they aren't Blue Slate but not sure as I have never had Blue Slate's. Can anyone tell me if they are or aren't Blue Slate turkey's?

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  2. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
  3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    blue slates will at times produce blacks. They breed just like any other blue poultry does, being black based, they will at times make blacks, there are breeding regements you can follow that will eliminate black offspring, but very few folks follow it.
    never seen a brown one of them before though, most likely a bronze there

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  4. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Following text is an excerpt from "1998 SPPA Turkey Census Report"
    by Paula Johnson

This variety is very interesting, and I will attempt to explain what can happen in breeding this color. First, I will try to define each color that occurs. A Slate is also called a Splash and is slate or ashy blue with specks of black scattered over the feathers. The Blue is more of a solid, dull, grayish-blue with the hens a lighter bluish gray. The Black is just that, black. When breeding Blue to Blue, the results are turkeys of three different colors: Slate, Blue, and Black. When breeding Slate to Slate, the results are just Slates and Slates will breed true. When breeding the Blue to Black, both Blues and Blacks result with no Slates. When breeding the Black to Black, just Blacks result, which breed true.

5. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    The link I posted from Porter above has the history and breeding of blue slates. It is very interesting. I get lots of colors from my blue slate hens. I can show tons of pictures. These poults where from what I call a dirty slate hen. Not the same dirty slate hens that they talk about on the Porter site above. [​IMG]

6. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    [​IMG]

This is my blue slate tom.Very pretty blue with the black spotting.

7. chickenfried

chickenfried Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Chanute
    Thanks for the replies been working long hours just took a few minutes to read your replies and I will try and post some pictures and let you see them and then decide there is no blue or grayish blue to them just black with some white mostly on the wings and one with a lot of brown. Thanks again.[​IMG]

8. Nyrial

Nyrial Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Lake Stevens, WA
    I'm just glad to see the post, it prepared me for the Blacks and other interesting assorted colors that hatched yesterday. Lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by