Anyone with experience dealing w/respiratory infection?

AV8RChick

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 22, 2014
Lake Wylie, SC
Hi,
If anyone has dealt with respiratory infections, I have a question. I am administering Tylan 50 injectables twice daily 1/2 cc. In your experience, how long did it take to see improvement? I am also using Vet RX. The hen in question began receiving the antibiotics approximately 4 hours after she began displaying wheezing symptoms. That was about 36 hours ago. She is still wheezing. I was wondering what a normal amount of time to see improvement is.
Thanks in advance for your response.
Amy

i am still having the problem!I bring mines hens about 7 days I saw improvement i'm still working on them though.Hope yours heaL!your need to this medication for a week.and bring them in.Also make them feel comfortable.

She was immediately moved from the coop to the house and is in a dog crate. I was getting worried but if it takes at least a week, I'll keep giving her meds etc.
Thanks for the response!

Hi,
If anyone has dealt with respiratory infections, I have a question. I am administering Tylan 50 injectables twice daily 1/2 cc. In your experience, how long did it take to see improvement? I am also using Vet RX. The hen in question began receiving the antibiotics approximately 4 hours after she began displaying wheezing symptoms. That was about 36 hours ago. She is still wheezing. I was wondering what a normal amount of time to see improvement is.
Thanks in advance for your response.
Amy

It depends what disease she might have and the severity of the strain involved. If it's a virus or fungus problem, antibiotics such as tylan are useless. If it's a bacterial type respiratory disease, tylan is normally effective and should see improvement anywhere from 3-7 days. If there's resistance to the product, perhaps baytril would be your next step.

with me what really gets me fast improvements, like in the next morning is putting apple cider vinegar in their water :) good luck!

Have you checked to see if there could be something in her airway such as something she swallowed or patches of tissue that shouldn't be there? A fungal infection such as aspergillosis from wet and moldy conditions, or viral diseases such as bronchitis or ILT as Dawg53 pointed out would not respond to antibiotics. What are her other symptoms? Here is a good list of common respiratory diseases with symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

It has been really wet here lately. How do I check her airway exactly? I looked down her throat last night with a flashlight but all I saw was her tongue. She is gasping/wheezing with every breath. She has no facial swelling. No snot or sneezing. I looked at all the respiratory diseases and the problem I am having is that her only symptom appears to be wheezing. She is eating soft food. I have given her egg/yogurt and some chick feed watered down, blueberries and grapes and water with ACV and water with electrolytes and probiotics. The wheezing has been going on for about 2 days now. I doubt it helps but she is a 22 week old cuckoo marans.

Just wanted to update and thank you all for the replies. She finally stopped wheezing last night! I am going to continue with the Tylan injections until next Wednesday (which will be a full 7 days). I also added ACV to her water yesterday. Here is to hoping for a full recovery!

Back
Top Bottom