Anyone with experience flying with eggs???

williamsl77

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 15, 2011
Northeast
I'm going to visit my aunt in Tennessee soon. I plan to pick up some eggs there and bring them home (via US Airways!). I've read a little bit and have a plan (begging, basically at TSA) to see if I can get them through without being x ray'd. We'll see how they handle the pressure changes, etc. Then I'll see how they hatch.

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this before. Did you have success? What happened? I read one story on here of a woman who tried and her eggs did not hatch. These are not super expensive eggs, so it's ok if it doesn't work. But I am VERY curious!

You can ask the TSA people to do a hand inspection instead of it going through x-ray. They don't really like it, since it slows things down. Just try to get them on your side by explaining they are hatching eggs. Maybe even have a picture of the type of chicken, if you can get them interested, they will be on your side.

I've known lots of people that hand carry frogs through security by asking they be hand checked.

Good luck.

Deb

Yes, please return and report; I've often wondered about how well that would go.

Deb's Flock, I consider myself to have a wide and varied circle of friends, and some very interesting hobbies and traits amongst them. However, I do not have a single friend who has ever taken a frog on a plane. I feel like I'm missing something vital in my life, that I don't have a friend who does that.

Deb's Flock, I consider myself to have a wide and varied circle of friends, and some very interesting hobbies and traits amongst them. However, I do not have a single friend who has ever taken a frog on a plane. I feel like I'm missing something vital in my life, that I don't have a friend who does that.

Ah well, you're missing out! I do have at least one personal friend with the experience. Personally I would be too nervous, what if they turned you away? You'd have to miss your flight. Most of the circle of friends belong to the internet. But then people fly across country to "Frog Day" (bet you didn't know that one existed
wink.png
), if they buy something, how are they going to get home?

There's a whole other world of the frog hobby out there and you can't eat your breeding mistakes like with a chicken
lol.png

There are lots of frog forums, here's the main one I hang out on. There is at least one other dual member here. I saw the same user name and they had asked a question about chicks/snake food, I sent them a PM and sure enough it was them. If you want an interesting read (and a fairshare of infighting!)
http://www.dendroboard.com

Deb

Well, reporting back with some success. Carried the eggs on with a toddler and a puppy. TSA made me x ray them. Then I missed my flight and spent the night in my connecting city and they got x rayed again the next day!

Happy to report that 7/12 silkies hatched (8/12 went into lockdown). And it looks like 11/28 olive eggers hatched. That's not a phenomenal hatch rate... some eggs may still hatch, but I don't see any other pips right now. I'm thinking the hatch is mostly done. And I'm still a relatively new hatcher... so I'm sure my temps were good, but I'm still not sure what an optimal humidity is for my situation.

So... I'd say that was about equal to shipping eggs through the PO.

I will add that I should have gotten a copy of the NPIP certificate from the person who sold me eggs to make them legal to carry across state lines. I didn't know that at the time, though now I do. Other than that, it was a very useful little experiment.

Back
Top Bottom