anyone with good luck with a hovabator 1602N with egg turner?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sonew123, Mar 24, 2009.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I have one of these on the way to my house and now Im second guessing myself! I paid 106$ total with shipping and handling-did I do ok-Im way new at this sooo I am always searching this site for your awesome knwoledge and help!

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    also-can you tell me what Else I need -I should have gone with the genesis 1588! buyers remorse:-(- Dont I now need to buy something for humidity?

3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    My first incubator was that one. It worked well for me [​IMG] I bought mine at a small animal auction used, with the turner, for $10!!! Worked like a charm. Like all still airs with wafers it was a bit touchy but I hatched out lots of chicks with it. Now that I have had my 1588 for over a year I will never go back to another wafer/still air though. I just bought another 1588 (no turner I am using it for a hatcher) new off of ebay for $117 including shipping.
    Good luck [​IMG]
    PS Walmart sells a decent hygrometer/thermometer for about $6. DO NOT use the thermometer that comes with the bator. They are habitually off. I did find that the one from walmart is off by about 1 degree(higher then actual temp) - the one with the hygrometer. I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer by oregon scientific from Target that I got for $13 and the temp on it has been dead on. I like it because it also has a hi/low on it so you can see if you had any spikes.
    [​IMG]

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Thank you!! I also, -today- got a hygrometer-timer and temp gage from work-great advice-I will use this incubator all spring summer and fall-see how it goes and if it doesnt work well for me or my sanity losing eggs-ill go to the 1588-and sell the other one!

5. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    Ive hatched a lot of eggs in a still air and I prefer the hova over the LG because of the larger size and water trough. You just need to be watchful of the ambient room temp where you put the still air. There is a 1583 (which is basically a 1602N with a fan and picture window) humming away right beside the computer here, right now..After having it for a week or so and seeing how well it holds I trust it as well as the two 1588's setting in the floor behind me [​IMG]

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    you guys are making me feel so so much better !!! Thank you!

7. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    i love my hovabator. the one i have now is actually my second one. we also have 2 homemade bators that i love just as much. actually we use one as a hatcher. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by