Anyone with hatch date Oct 15-25?!? Check out this thread!

ChickenPeep

Faith & Feathers
11 Years
May 1, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Yesterday was a sad day for me.
We had to rehome our roosters. We took them to a lady with over 200 chickens. I think they will be happier there.

On the way out, i asked if we could have some eggs. The lady gladly gave me some mixed breed eggs, along with 1 bantam egg! She said that a few of the eggs might be silkies. After we laft, i horrifyingly remembered that our incubator can only hold 2 eggs! So, we stopped at our friend's house to pick up the 'bator they had got a few years ago. When we got them home, it took me a loooong time to get the temperature regulated. Finally, i did. I set in the pretty, white cream colored eggs.

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
D.gif
My hatch date is October 22! Anyone with me?
jumpy.gif
D.gif
D.gif

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Also, on this thread, i will be asking questions as the incubation process goes along, so feel free to answer!!
Heres a pic of my eggs!

89747_img_18191.jpg

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Awww ... sorry about having to rehome! I know it can be tough, especially when the breeds aren't sex-linked so it takes a few months to tell who's who. I got really attached to one of my barred rock roosters a few years ago, too.
sad.png
I love hens, but the roos really have such super little personalities, it's hard to be without them.

But yay on the new eggs! I love the idea that she just handed you some eggs ... what a surprise you're going to have when they begin hatching! It's kind of like waiting to find out the sex of the baby when you're pregnant, which I've not been able to do with both boys I have.
hmm.png
Do all the eggs look similar, or are there any (besides the bantam egg) that you might be able to guess the breed based on the egg color or size? How exciting!

I set three eggs on the 29th, so I'm right there with you. This is only my third hatch with my mini incubator, but it's been over 2 years since I last used it. I forgot how exciting it can be! There is lots of great information on here, and lots of great people to lend an ear. I'd recommend you read the "stick" in this section, too. I had an emergency with my first hatch, and lost 2 of the 3 chicks. Had I read the sticky first, it wouldn't have happened. By the time I *thought* to read it, which is often hard to think straight when you're panicking, it was too late.
sad.png

Best of luck to you!

Quote:
Thanks! Yes our roosters had very great personalities. i will miss them soo much!
hit.gif

At least i have some eggs! Im soo excited! Wait, it it the 30th or the 1st??? Im so mixed up!!
roll.png

Lol ... I saw how to edit *after* I posted the one that said I didn't know how to edit. Oh my gosh, it's a wonder anything gets done around here. Hahaha!
smile.png

Your eggs look awesome! It "looks like" you might have a few different breeds or types in there. How cool!
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Today is the 1st ... it's the day of the Alabama/Florida game ... I can't forget that!

When are you going to candle your eggs for the first time? I'm so nervous to do that. I only had room for three eggs in my mini, but the seller (ebay) sent me a dozen! I rehomed them via Craigslist to a girl in town who raises turkeys and had plenty of room for them. I am so afraid that I selected the "wrong" three out of the twelve. I'll be honest ... I tried to candle with a penlight this morning, and they all looked the same. That's probably a good sign that they all looked the same, but whether that "look" is good or bad, I'm not sure. Good luck to you!

I'd wait until day 10. I wish I could hatch more. But it is getting colder here in Ohio and I have 2 different hatches from broodies and my incubator with hens and I have 5 FCBM from Wynette I hatched last week and couldn't resit the 2 RIR's I saw at Meyer while only getting a new feeder (Shhh that's what I told the old man, I always go on Mondays or Tuesdays, hatch day
wink.png
they put extras in bin) and I have 2 1/2 week old FR out in grow pen. Maybe I will get lucky and my Amish neighbor will show up with some more quail eggs for me to hatch when they pick up the ones that are hatching now.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom