Anyone with honeybees, a garden and advice

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Rachel Taylor, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    Every year as I’m sure we all do fight those invasive of pests in the garden. The worst ones for me are the horned tomato worms, squash bugs and aphids. I had a small Japanese beetle problem last year got Neem oil and it got rid of the squash bugs and the Japanese beetles. Well most of the squash bugs but all the Japanese beetles. I’ve read it doesn’t hurt bees if you spray in the evening but I’ve also read it does. I’m looking for a way without chemicals to control pests in my garden without killing bees. Because in June we are starting our first try at honeybees.

CapricornFarm likes this.
  2. CapricornFarm

CapricornFarm Chicken Tender

Feb 1, 2010
    Southern Virginia
    Try guineas! Less destructive than chickens in the garden.

3. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    I have a feeling if I get Guineas and let them in my garden it will give my chickens the idea. If the door to the garden is closed my chickens won’t mess with it even though I’m sure they can get over the fence. But if they see Them in there Good idea though. I wish I could let my chickens in my garden to get the box but I have a feeling they will destroy my plants along with the bugs

CapricornFarm likes this.
  4. Ninjasquirrel

Ninjasquirrel Songster

May 11, 2018
    You can use palmolive and water in a spritzer. It wont hurt the plants and it will kill the bugs

Rachel Taylor likes this.
  5. Duckstail

Duckstail Songster

Apr 17, 2018
    When you figure out a way to get rid of aphids let me know ! Those little guys are immune to everything !

Rachel Taylor likes this.
  6. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    I made a list of certain flowers and herbs and what pests they keep away. I made a little fortress around my veggies depending on the big I attract. I’ll let you know how that works. I hate aphids. They’re impossible sometimes

Duckstail likes this.
  7. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    I do love that for certain pests. I added cayenne pepper to keep them off. Thanks for the suggestion. I’m taking any advice I can!

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    When I have aphids come visiting in my orchard, I just blast them off with the hose. When I've done this, I've not had to repeat!

9. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    I would love to blast mine with a hose but I actually believe it or not I don’t have a hose. Because I have no outdoor water connection to my house. Try to get one but the plumber told me it would be over $700. So as much of a pain in the rear as it is I work with my indoor faucet in 5 gallon bucket’s. I’m also afraid to much force would kill the vegetable plants. Sounds like a great idea for an orchard though

10. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    Well I do also have a Rain barrel. Unfortunately in Virginia the three hottest summer months are also very dry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: