anyone with Khaki Campbells

xke4

Songster
12 Years
Feb 3, 2007
It is my understanding that there are a few varieties of this breed. Does this look at all like any of yours. This guy is this year's hatch turned in to a wildlife rehab place, now living at my house.
P9300046.jpg

Can't figure out how to post 2 pictures at a time in one post so will break them up.

Looks like a Khaki to us... I do have one drake... he is down at the creek right now... when he comes back up... I will take a pic of him and post it for you if you would like.
Tes

I don't have any Campbells, but that looks like a Khaki drake to me (judging on my books and Feathersite ). Campbells come in White, Dark, and Khaki.

I believe that they -like most males with coloring close to Mallards- molt their distinctive feathers and look more like hens for part of the year, and then molt again and regain their darker and distinctly male patterning. Don't hold me to this though, as I'm not 100% sure this applies to Campbells! Either way, he definitely has the male patterning for a Khaki drake, IMHO.

Last edited:
I have 6 Kaki Cambelles.. 1 male and 5 females... That looks just like my male!!
Untitled-21-1.jpg

****MALE is all the way to the left in the corner*****

Last edited:
Iamaqte: Does your male have a dark brown almost black head or a green head.

One more thing....are they good fliers? Before we realized that this was a domestic duck, we released him on our pond with 2 wood ducks and a mallard. Got along famously but when they flew south, he stayed behind. I know he can fly short distances.

Mine has almost black / dark brown head.
I actaully just saw them all (take off) fly down our hill to the creek this morning.. that was the first time I saw them fly. They did that pretty good too!!
smile.png

Last edited:
Khaki Campbells of all the ducks have the best eating eggs of the ducks. My husband swears by them... I have also used their eggs in cakes and other foods but other eggs aren't as good. Not sure why... Probably just too oily or something.

I would love to have some more Khaki's but I can't seem to get pure breeds and actually I am not set up for ducks anymore but those eggs my hubby would eat them all...

Arklady

He is definatly a Khaki drake. I have one,Willis, and he is the goofiest little bird...lol. He does fly...but not high and far like the mallards. He hangs with my goose Gretchen.....I will get a picture of him for you...he looks exactly like yours in the pic! They are similar to the mallards- they get a green head, just not as brightly colored as a mallard drake. They are bigger than mallards too. Khaki drakes will also have dark orange legs and feet..the females are more dull looking.
mine goes to the pond every night with our goose....I guess they prefer to sleep there...some days only our goose comes home and when I walk down to see where he is, he is usually hanging with a family of Mallards. When they fly off....he stays and comes up to the house.
My husband found ours at a car dealership that he works at...I guess someone thought what a cute Easter gift....raised him and let him go....he was fullly feathered when we got him home, but then molted and now looks identical to yours!!!

Good Luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom