1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone with Mini Silver Appleyards...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ambrose, Apr 20, 2012.

1. ambrose

ambrose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    ...currently active in the Duck subforum?

When I first came on i searched the archives and read some nice things about MSAs. But I would love to hear more about these guys!

2. AshleySue

AshleySue New Egg

Jul 2, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Hi there!

I have seven mini SA ducklings--just about three weeks old. I'm outside on my laptop, playing duck momma as they nap in the sun. Out here in Oregon, you gotta enjoy the sun whenever it is out!

3. ambrose

Mar 16, 2012
    and a few minutes later and it's already gone! (at least here in SW PDX)

Would love to see pics/vids if you have them. Did you get them from holderread's?

4. AshleySue

AshleySue New Egg

Jul 2, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Hi there!

Yup, I'm up in Portland, too, and we keep getting glimpses of sunshine today. No rain yet, which is fantastic as I am putting the finishing touches on a raised duck coop for these little *chickadees* :)

Though when there is cloud cover or the wind picks up, the ducklings nestle all together--or try to hide under my long-haired golden retriever, which is highly entertaining.

I have photos on my camera, but I don't have a camera phone, so I need to get around to getting them on my computer from my camera. Will do so soon!

These little guys are indeed from Holderread's, down in Corvallis. Very happy, friendly, fun little birdies.

5. ambrose

Mar 16, 2012
    they sound super-cute. I knew there had to be someone in Portland with MSAs!

6. AshleySue

AshleySue New Egg

Jul 2, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Yup! Here I am! (Or should I say, here we are!)

I originally bought five, as Holderread's sells hatchlings as a straight run. That way, I had a reasonable probability of getting a few hens. Two extra ducklings hatched, so Dave just gave those to me. I think my housemates thought I was a little *enthusiastic* when I returned from Corvallis with seven ducklings...

Once they are older, I will probably decrease the flock size. So if you are interested in one or two, check in with me in a few weeks! These guys get a few hours a day out of their cage, which means lots of time to chase insects and hunt for slugs in the garden.

Do you have any ducks yourself?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by