Anyone with pics of perches?

HappyPlace

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 31, 2011
Middle of the Mitten
I have a closed in run for my chicks and as they get older, they want to get higher. I want them to have something to play on keep them entertained since they will be in the pen full-time. I would love to see pics of what others have done for perches in the run. Would anyone like to share?
smile.png

Also, I would love to see pics or hear stories of what others use as "toys" to entertain their birds.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Mine like the Illinois Everbearing Mulberry trees that I planted when I built the Coop. The trees were little 3 foot saplings when I planted them. They are now 30 feet tall with 60 foot spread (glad I planted them far apart) and the chickens love them. They drop well over a ton of food each year in the chicken run and even so, the chickens love to hop-perch their way up the trees to the top even to get the very best mulberry first!.
36435_tameguinea.jpg

My main run has three roosts - the ladder roost closest in the picture, a big tree branch (hard to see - but shows in the run doorway), and just a single 2x4 in the far corner.
37862_june_24_023.jpg

ETA - OP - a ladder roost would work well for you if they're exploring going higher and higher. I want a fruit tree in MY run...lol.

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to add perches by going out into my woods and getting large branches for them.

No pics but I am using an old wooden ladder and adding 2x4s in various directions. The hens LOVE climbing/flying up in this and hanging out in the rafters.

Here's mine. I have 1 that's made from a 2x4 through 2 concrete blocks, one that's a 1x3 through the fence, and 2 that are attached to the central post. As yet I've never seen anyone use the ones on the post, but they've only been there a few mos.
smile.png

19926_perches.jpg

Quote:
I would love to have an old barn ladder for mine, but no luck so far finding one...

Mine like the Illinois Everbearing Mulberry trees that I planted when I built the Coop. The trees were little 3 foot saplings when I planted them. They are now 30 feet tall with 60 foot spread (glad I planted them far apart) and the chickens love them. They drop well over a ton of food each year in the chicken run and even so, the chickens love to hop-perch their way up the trees to the top even to get the very best mulberry first!.

Those trees look HUGE! How old are they? I would love a tree in the run, but the closest I could get would be a pruned down Japanese Maple. It's not a tall run (only 6 feet) and it's covered. Maybe a bush...
roll.png

My main run has three roosts - the ladder roost closest in the picture, a big tree branch (hard to see - but shows in the run doorway), and just a single 2x4 in the far corner.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/37862_june_24_023.jpg

ETA - OP - a ladder roost would work well for you if they're exploring going higher and higher. I want a fruit tree in MY run...lol.

I like the ladder idea. How did you attach it to the run wall? Or is it just leaned up against it? I can't tell by the pic, either; is that branch just put through the fencing?

I like your set up, pawsplus.
smile.png
What do you have planted by the center pole? Was it something planted for your chickens to eat or just enjoy?

Does anyone have anything like a cat-tower in their run? Maybe without the carpeting?
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom