anyone with tennis elbow?

key west chick

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Gainesville, GA
I think I have tennis elbow. And DH played tennis a lot while younger and thats what he thinks also. I think I got it while running my machine at the shop. Repetitive, awkward movements loading and unloading sheet metal. Not really heavy, just awkward loading them. Then the constant shaking out the punched out pieces. Anywho, Im right handed, so resting it is out of the question. I haven't worked in about a week but it doesn't seem like it has helped. I bought a support brace for it today, gonna try and see if that helps. Anybody have anything to recommend?

I call it bartender's elbow.

When I had the first problem with mine, my husband took me to one o the surgeons he worked with. They both said it was better to treat it than to have surgery.

I was suppose to get a night support, but the doctor was leaving for vacation an forgot to write it out, so Bill made me a support from casting material, so it would hold my arm straight. You really have no control when you're asleep, so it helped a lot.It just keeps your arm from bending and pulling. It took 2 weeks of no work and another of babying it at night. My arnica gel helped also.

If you do something like this I would suggest using velcro to wrap around it to hold in place. That way it's easy to remove.
I have it in both elbows. You don't want to do what we did, because it was a little problematic.

Bill worked graveyard and he made the form on a friday night. He worked Sunday night through friday morning, so he was home that first weekend.

He'd wrap it for me when I went to bed and unwrap inthe morning, but that weekend we used an ace bandage. Worked great. Then Sunday night he wrapped it before he left for work.

I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't get the wraps off to go to the bathroom! There was no one else around and I had to lay the phone on the bed to dial him at the hospital and then lay my ear on it. He ended up coming home to help me escape, but not before everyone at the hospital that night had heard about me stranded with my arms wrapped straight and no way to get out of it.

Got a lot of teasing for that one.

But it makes a big difference in the way you heal, so remember!!!! Velcro!

So you think keeping it straight while sleeping is good. See, I sleep with my arm curled up under my pillow, maybe thats why its still is bothering me. Thanks, I will try it.

I sleep the same way and yeah they told me I needed to sleep with them straight. Not perfectly straight though. Just give your elbow a little give and you'll be alright. Luckily you are only having trouble with one.

Thanks so much for the advice. I did the same thing to my left arm years ago but I could keep that one rested. But, since this time its the right arm, not so lucky. I know working doesn't help at all, but I need the money so when they call me, I go in.

It has nothing to do with playing tennis though..... my doctor said not sure what causes it and not much they can do for it. I stopped working that much in health care field and I don't have the trouble anymore so that might be necessary for you to do. It is very painful and uncomfortable. I used absorbing JR. a lot and it seemed to help some. They did give me the brace and that helped a bit too.

It comes and goes all sorts of people in different professions have it. No certain time it stays for. Basically I was told to just deal with it. You can have a surgery but it can come right back.

Back
Top Bottom