Anyone Work at TSC?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SarahFair, Sep 10, 2009.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I need a job. [​IMG]

We arent hurting too bad. We get the bills paid and get to go out one night a week but its still super tight around here..

Id like to work at TSC to learn more about farm life. I find it more customer friendly then lets say something big like walmart (which is right across the street from out TSC).

I was wondering what kind of health care benefits are available, what kind of pay they started you out with (I know it will very by area...), what they asked of you, and what kind of knowledge they are looking for.

Are they any other benefits to working there? i.e. have you learnd more about anything..

If you dont feel safe/comfortable posting here please PM me. I am serious about this.

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Generally, they hire people that already have the knowledge and animal experience (to share with customers), not the people that are looking for an education. But, if they are looking for help, there's no harm in trying, they (and you) may find it's a good fit.

The farm store here starts at minimum wage, w/ health insurance, but goes up depending on experience. Good luck!

3. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I hope yuor TSC is better down there than up here in DE. I worked there for 1 1/2 years and seems I was the only one that knew anything when it came to farm animals and poultry. They hired just about anyone who walked in!

Down there, TSC might be different than up here. I was a cashier and sometimes did little odd jobs here and there. If it weren't for bad pay and crappy management, I would still be there! I started at 7.25 and in that period of time only got a 10 cent raise.

The DM is different down there than up here, so you may get decent pay and have fun while you are there!

Fill out an app and just see what they have to offer! You can always tell them no if it isn't what you are looking offer, but it doesn't hurt to check it out!

4. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Well...
    I know about chickens. Not enough to say Im fully educated but if they needed to know what kind of feed to buy I could help them

Id have to start at $8 min (after taxes). and work about 40hrs a week to break even (put my kids in daycare, health and car insurance) with $50 spending money.

Plus they will help pay for school..
    But being a mo and working 40 hrs a week idk if Ill have time!

5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I'm in the same boat...

6. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Hiya SarahFair!
    I was just reading the TSC website; full time employees and certain part time employees get all sorts of benefits. don't know what positions they actually hire people to though.
    When I started reading your post, I thought, hey, our TSC is right across the street from Wallyw too....Wait it is the same one! HI NEIGHBOR!

7. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Quote:haha
    Well, Hey! [​IMG]

8. kagedgoddess

kagedgoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    virginia
    we had a girl come to our co-op after working at tsc, she knew NOTHING about Anything. and hated to help ppl or ring them up or anything... we fired her in 3 mos. so anyways, i dont think Knowledge or lack there of would keep ya from being hired. my co-op hired me and i told them flat out i knew nothing baout farming, but was eager to learn. i ment it too. learned more there than at any other job ever. the started at $8.50, Before the min wage hike this year. the tsc around me really just wants bodies, seriously the kids who work there will turn around and walk away when they see customers, its pathetic. ... i dont show there less i have to.

9. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    So..
    hows working at a co-op?

The bland white walls at TSC seems like they could really wash a person out..
    When I hear co-op I think family owned, customer value, and rustic looking.
    I may be crazy though..

10. kagedgoddess

kagedgoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    virginia
    i was laid off in june [​IMG] but lol me and the old guy who worked there 20 yrs go back and hang out all the time. it was great somedays and bad some days, but my co-workers were awesome! every ones bday we d cllect a dollar and buy ballons and a cake, they threw me a baby shower and everyone gives each other stuff from the garden, we had a bake sale once for a co-workers step dad to get medical treatment. i loved it, and it seriously was the best customer service i ve ever seen. lol. we were family owned and had 6 stores all togeather, but it IS definitly community run! we do special orders all the time and try and get deals for regulars. i d recommend working at one of those anyday vs tsc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by