Anyone worked with old kerosene incubator, like Buckeye? More photos!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jennholly, Feb 29, 2008.

1. jennholly

jennholly New Egg

Feb 29, 2008
    Hi, everyone. This is my first post to the forum.

I recently acquired an old Buckeye incubator, "style e." Has anyone ever worked with these old kerosene incubators? It's a small one, holding maybe 50 eggs. I'll try to post some pics.

I don't understand how the thermostat is supposed to work. I know I'm missing a few pieces, but I'm not sure which pieces are supposed to exist. [​IMG]

I also do not have the kerosene lamp for it. Is it possible to convert it to electric?

(edited to attempt to add photo)

Here (hopefully) is a picture of the incubator with the heating element improperly configured.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Oh my...I hope someone comes along that can help you...that will be a great incubator to get back into shape...I do think I have seen some of those and their parts once or twice on ebay .....

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

If you don't get it working, I will buy it. I have been wanting one to go in the livingroom for a small coffeetable.

4. jennholly

jennholly New Egg

Feb 29, 2008
    Ok - here are some more pictures...

In this picture is what I believe to be part of the thermostat. It is located inside the incubator against the back wall.
    [​IMG]

Attached to one end of that piece, this hook goes through the roof of the incubator, and connects to the lever on top.
    [​IMG]

The other end of that hook is attached to this fulcrum. To the left, you can see the weight that balances the lever. I have no idea if I am supposed to adjust anything on the fulcrum. The other end of the lever attaches to the heating element.
    [​IMG]

What does the end of the lever attach to?
    [​IMG]

5. jennholly

jennholly New Egg

Feb 29, 2008
    Also, there is a tray with a screen in it, and a tray with burlap. Any idea what the burlap tray is for?

Do you think this would be sterile enough to really use?

6. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    my grandma hatched thousands of eggs outta one like that in the 30s and 40s,hope you get it going

7. jennholly

jennholly New Egg

Feb 29, 2008
    Thanks, Skeeter - I hope I get it going, too. It's kind of part of my "If I won the lottery" plan... but without winning the lottery. A lottery win would sure help, though.

Kristin... I've played around with the idea of selling it, but I'm going to hang on a little more. It really is a cool piece.

So... has no one used a thermostat that looks like this? I'm still looking for help...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by