1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone's chickens scared of the snow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by erinszoo, Dec 24, 2011.

1. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    It snowed her night before last and when we went to let our chickens out of the house, instead of rushing out the door like normal, they all stopped in a pile at the door and stared at the white stuff. It was funny, kind of like a slapstick skit in a comedy. I know they are ... well ... chickens and are therefore afraid of anything new but these girls provided some comic relief I must say, tiptoeing around the yard once they did venture outside. [​IMG] It was almost as much fun as watching a cat walk in snow for the first time.

2. ChikenNugget

ChikenNugget Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2011
    Saratoga County
    Mine did this after the first snow we got back in October. They haven't seemed phased by it with the last couple of snows. But it has been fairly mild so far this year so they haven't seen a lot of it yet. Good luck!

3. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    Mine have taken to hiding in the hayshed.... they don't trust that white fluffy stuff not to eat them alive lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by