Anyone's Ecoglow 20 wall plug feel really hot- is this normal?

Chicken Chat

Crowing
14 Years
Jul 19, 2009
Southern Illinois
My new Ecoglow 20 just arrived yesterday and I plugged it in last night for a test run. It was maybe on for an hour or two. The bottom heat plate seemed to be a lot hotter than I thought it would be. I can leave my fingers on it but it is kind of uncomfortable hot. I thought maybe I'm just being a baby and worrying about it too much until I went to unplug from the wall. The plug-in seemed really hot. I have a brisnea incubator running at the moment and I went to feel it's plug-in which is similar and the incubator that has been running for several weeks wasn't nearly as warm as the brooder. Is this normal? Maybe it's just that it is new...
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Mine is pretty warm too, but not quite hot enough that I can't keep my hand on it indefinitely.

The EcoGlow itself is pretty warm. Chicks were primarily sleeping just outside from under it, so I wonder if it's a little too hot for them? I just shoved more shavings/bedding under one side of it to prop it he one side up a little. Wil see if more air space under the heat panel feels better for the babies?

Thanks, VeggieGoneEggie, I can keep my hand on it, it just feels warmer than the incubators transformer which I found out is the same transformer as the Ecoglow uses. Good to know that yours gets pretty warm as well, sounds like it is normal. I am borrowing one of those point and shoot digital temperature things from a friend to see what the plate is reading. It seems too warm for chicks to be touching. I know a normal chicken body temp runs somewhere around 105 and 107 so it would feel hotter to us, but I just want to make sure there isn't a malfunction going on and risk burning my chicks that are scheduled to hatch Monday.

Back
Top Bottom