Anyones eggs freezing??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Little Ameraucana Mom, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    It is -2 this morning. I"ve already been out 3 times. First time in the dark. So far I only had one egg that was even cold,, of course it was one that goes in MY incubator, but it wasn't as cold as one from fridge. I'm giong out every hr. But I have so many broodys, that they are jumping on any eggs laid and keeping them warm for me, Now isn't that nice of them.

2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    only my bantam eggs are and thats because they like to lay them in weird places. I only use half of my nestboxes in winter that way there is almost always a hen on them laying and keeping them from freezing.

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi LAM, maybe someone could answer you with the putting the cold egg into the incubator. You may want to let it warm up a bit and only from the cold temp dropping your incubators temp down quickly it may drop it to low for your other embryo's. Just a thought as I do not know.
    I have been having issues with my eggs freezing too. I assume we all do especially those that can only depend on themselves to collect eggs and working.

From my experience here in Maine, it seems as though my standard roosters will slow down on fertilization in the winter. Now, could be hormonal, could be the cold killing the germ. Now, this is only my opinion, not a fact and I may just have idiot roos! LOL Now my bantam Cochin rooster is also slowed down in winter. He is a fertile myrtle! I never catch him mounting the ladies.

If your using your eggs for reproduction purposes, do you suppose if you was to place a heating pad or lizard pad on the floor of your egg box, cover with shavings or hay, if this would help you keep your eggs warm enough. Someone will also have the answer to that too. But if you was to put your nest box heaters on a timer, then say from 6am-noon your girls will be done laying and you will not have someone sneaking in for a warm butt!

Good luck, I too hate cracked eggs, frozen doors, frustrated chickens- I'll stop here, don't want to give you a bad day!!! LOL :0)

4. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    We're in the single digits with wind chill below 0... brrrrrr! Sounds like you and your broodys have it under control. Good luck with gathering and hatching!

5. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    -30 here this morning. Glad I am home. We have been getting some frozen eggs if we are gone all day with the coop door open. They love the sun shining in so we leave it open on sunny days! Not today though!

6. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Yup -30 below here too. I am not going to bother collecting the eggs tell night, Cant eat them anyways. I de-wormed my chickens so I have to throw them out for 2 weeks.

7. Little Ameraucana Mom

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Quote:It will be sitting until Wednesday. I put eggs in every wednesday. So far I've ony had 2 frozen eggs and that is because I have one hen who likes to lay on the floor in the far corner.

8. Little Ameraucana Mom

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    -30, WOW !! you guys be careful out there, don't want any BYC'ers to freeze. LOL !![​IMG]

9. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Only -15 here in Iowa today. I have had several eggs freeze so far. I have been able to get most of the eggs before they freeze.

10. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I lose about half of mine to freezing. It doesn't seem to matter how often or what time I go out to check. I have plenty to go around though, so I thaw them, scramble them and feed them to the barn kitties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by