Anyone's pullets mother the other pullets??

sred98

Songster
12 Years
Jan 18, 2008
Oklahoma
This is a weird question, but I only have 2 chickens. They are a Cornish Dark pullet and an OEGB pullet about 3 months old. The OEGB has always been babied by the Cornish, and lately I've noticed when they go to roost, the Cornish fluffs her wings out and the OEGB is up under there like a chick! Is this common? Has anyone's chickens bonded like this? I am hoping it means the Cornish will be a good mom when I decide to get a roo! She mothers this poor OEGB like crazy and the OEGB eats it up! She feeds it, calls for it, hides it, everything! And they are the same age. I got them the same day at the feed store from 2 different brooders. Of course, there is a huge size discrepancy! LOL! My camera is broken, or I would get pictures of them. Will they outgrow it? Will they always be close like this?

I think it is the sweetest thing ever!

Shelly

We had a couple of silkie chicks in the brooder with a trio of goslings, and the silkies took to the geese as their "mamas". When they got put in the yard with the rest of the birds they were still attached for a while. It was funny to see the silkies cry when they got separated from the geese, and the geese protecting their "babies" from the other chickens.

image51.jpg

Quote:
I have no clue if it's common or normal, ive learned that the word "NORMAL" doesn't mean anything in the chicken world, But it's one of the cutest things Ive heard of. I dont think there is anything wrong with it !!! Would be nice if they stayed close growing up !!!! Good luck !!!!

Back
Top Bottom