anything and everything

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicks Galore3, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I am getting chickens in may and it will be my first time. I am trying to learn as much as i can.

ANY addvice, helpful hints or typical tips, (sorry, i could break the pattern...[​IMG] ) About anything ( chick care, treats, toys, ECT) would be much apprecitiated!!!!

2. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    [​IMG] from middle tn!! glad you joined us. Use the search fuction...or start reading the different threads. Start in the chicks thread and move on from there. Thats what I did and it worked for me! I also read all the books I could find on chickens.

3. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Hi and welcome from VA! When I found this site and was brand new to chickens I started on the raising baby chicks forum and the one about coop designs and just kept clicking on everything!!! One thing leads to another and you learn so much! The forums and the 'search' are your best friends! My advice? Take lots of pics throughout the weeks, as groups and individuals, they grow super fast. Have fun with your chicks when you get them and if it's not fun, change what you're doing 'til it is! Trust your instincts (sp?) Good luck!

4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    When I started on BYC I went up to the search bar and typed in the keyword for anything I thought of - "brooder", "feeding", "light bulb", etc. There are tons of threads for EVERYTHING and with a little patience and search strategy, you'll be on the up and up in no time [​IMG]

and... [​IMG] and chicken keeping! They're wonderful to have around. Life just isn't the same without them [​IMG]

5. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    thanks everyone!!! i will definately use the search tool.Blazejester, i love your signature, I am rooming with three bantpm auracanas I sure hope their girls.[​IMG] [​IMG]

How do you quote?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    There's a blue link at the bottom right corner of every post - one says "report" (don't do that unless someone is being inappropriate) and one says "quote". If you hit "quote" in the post you want to respond to, the message screen pops up with that person's message. Sometimes I cut out all but the sentence I'm referring to if it's a long post, too [​IMG]

7. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    [​IMG] and welcome to keeping chickens also!

Helpful advice? Read through the topics on BYC! Don't be alarmed if your chickens attack your feet, that's pretty common even after they get to know you. [​IMG] Don't put too much feed out or you could be getting little visitors. [​IMG] Just have fun! Good luck with your new chooks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by