Anything Else I Can Do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wolf Creek Farms, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Wolf Creek Farms

Wolf Creek Farms In the Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    Northwest Alabama
    Ok, this poor chick is in bad shape, I have her isolated, warm, and as comfortable as possible. I have added a shoe to the one foot and have treated for straddle leg, but if you notice how swollen her leg is, can anyone recommend anything else? I appreciate your help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. katrinag

katrinag Songster

Poor little guy. I wish the best of luck to you.

3. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Looks like she has twisted leg. Nothing you can do for that really....sorry [​IMG]

4. Wolf Creek Farms

Wolf Creek Farms In the Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    Northwest Alabama
    Just an update, the chick is learning to cope with her handicap pretty well

5. SandraChick

SandraChick Songster

Wolfie-

Her hoks look a lot like when I help in oil spills and seabirds are forced to put weight on them when they're not used to doing that 24/7. This would be true for chickens as well.

I'll PM you my email....it would be a long drawn out post....

Sandra

6. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Songster

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    She may have slipped tendon (s).
    As sad as it is, I think you should cull her. Her brain and GI tract works fine, and she will happily eat/drink/poop ect but as she grows, she will get sores on any part of her leg that touches the ground that is not supposed to. The bottom of the chicken foot is the part designed to weight bear, not her hocks or the sides of her feet. She is coping with your help, but it is really unlikely that she will be able to lead a close to normal life.

It is kind that you rescued her from wherever she was that let her get so dirty. She was probably getting walked all over by other chicks and having to drag her self through poop.

7. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊ 9 Years

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    Oh my gosh! That's so sad! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] poor chickie! he/she is just a baby..... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm ot sure what you can do for her.... [​IMG] I wouldn't put her out of her misery right now, and you should give her another chance. This might be something that you can cure pretty easily, although I'm far from being sure. Just wanted you to know that there is still some of hope for the little chick. . [​IMG] So don't let her go yet, unless she's suffering of course. [​IMG] I would say, maybe bring her to the vet? [​IMG] Good luck and god bless you and the poor chickie! May he/she soon be going down the road to recovery soon! [​IMG] :aww [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by