Anything I can do to whiten my duck's feathers?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lexi108, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Lexi108

Lexi108 In the Brooder

Nov 20, 2017
    So I have a pekin hen who lovessss getting dirty. Mud, she lays in it. Poop, she will play in it. She bathes every day but her underside is pretty much stained brown(It looks like she has sat in a heavy smoker's home for years and got nicotine stained haha) but I was just wondering if there was something safe that could help remove the stains? It's no problem to me, she's just so fat and pretty that I'd love to see her shine a bit more. If not, it's perfectly fine. Thanks!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Making Coffee

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Yellowing of the feathers is fairly normal. Keeping it's swimming water clean may help, but I don't think long term you can prevent it. She will be pretty every year after the molt, than her feathers will start to wear out again.

chickens really likes this.
  3. 17 chickens

17 chickens Crazy Chicken Math

Jul 11, 2016
    Chattaroy Washington
    I have given my ducks and chickens baths when getting them ready for shows. I have used Dawn dish soap, It is safe and it cleans them pretty good too. This time of year it is cooler outside so you need to make sure that they are 100% dried off and warm. Give them time before putting them back out to let them do a good grooming on themselves to put their oils back on the feathers. That is a must for ducks!

DuckyDoodles likes this.
  4. Lexi108

Lexi108 In the Brooder

Nov 20, 2017
    Thanks! I will try Dawn. :) And haha yeah,this time of year she is being kept inside along with my chickens. They're too spoiled. They even all got to attend Thanksgiving dinner at my mom's, got their own plate and everything.

DuckyDoodles likes this.
  5. Maybe you should try that magic bluing stuff the old ladies use (or used to?) in their hair!
    :lau:oops:

Sorry, I could not help myself

gary

DuckyDoodles likes this.
  6. 17 chickens

17 chickens Crazy Chicken Math

Jul 11, 2016
    Chattaroy Washington
    When our boys were younger and in 4-H and FFA they would wash their sheep and cream color cows in woolite to get them really clean and bright. But you can't use it on feathered animals.

7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Using soap on Ducks will remove the natural oils they produce to water proof their feathers..As @oldhenlikesdogs
    Mentioned, it's normal and will be gone after the molt..

8. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Crossing the Road

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Don't bathe your ducks, just provide fresh clean swimming water. If the duck drinks the soapy water it can get sick, and it does remove the oil.

DuckyDoodles and chickens really like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: