anything I should do to help my broody hen hatch her eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SqueakyRoseShalom, Apr 10, 2012.

1. SqueakyRoseShalom

SqueakyRoseShalom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I'm so excited that we finally have a broody hen![​IMG] Is there anything that I should do to ensure a good hatch? I know that it won't be as good as when an incubator is used, but my hubby is not too keen on getting an incubator. So my broody hen is my chance to have some of our own chicks! [​IMG] Thanks!

2. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have a first time broody sitting on some eggs while I type. :) I think you will have a better hatch, letting mother nature take care of things! Here's to hoping for both of us![​IMG]

3. SqueakyRoseShalom

Mar 17, 2011
    Thanks! That sounds reasonable to me, too=). I have some specific questions...
    1. How do I candle and how do I know if an egg is bad? I know that only a couple of the eggs that she is sitting on will hatch because we only have one roo to nine hens.

2. Two of the eggs are from black copper marans, so will I be able to see anything?

3. How long does it take for the eggs to hatch?

4. Today is the first day that I've let her sit. If I take note of who my roo mounts tomorrow, and then make sure that her eggs make it under my broody by the day after tomorrow, will that be too much of a time lapse for the eggs to hatch?

THANK YOU!! I'm so excited!!! [​IMG]

4. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Hi, being new myself I don't have all your answers. I have never candled so I can't help you with that one. As far as how many will hatch, it sounds like you have a good hen to rooster ratio, don't be surprised if they are all fertilized. It takes 21 days for eggs to hatch, don't give her eggs on different days because she may leave them before they have hatched to care for the newly hatched chicks. I'm sure we will both get more advice from those in the know!

5. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Broody hens are actually better than an incubator. The hen will wet the eggs and turn them and heat them just like an incubator, but even better. They make sure everything is almost perfect. The only thing you need to make sure is that the hen gets plenty to eat and drink. Hope you have a good hatch rate.

6. SqueakyRoseShalom

Mar 17, 2011
    ok I found the best article which answered all of my questions but left me with only one new question- how many eggs should i set under one broody hen? 8? 10?

link to article... notice under the photograph that it has 5 parts, so you have to click on part 2 after you are done reading part 1, and so on... ENJOY!!

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by